ECU Tuning & Fuel Management Discuss electronics and related components within.

chipped vs hondata alittle help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 10:07 PM
HCF Member
Default chipped vs hondata alittle help!

I need engine management really bad b/c I have a full turbo kit on my '94 B16A and just bought 440cc rc injectors for it. I know the injectors will flood the hell out of my engine without management so my questions are these (because i am totally lost!!!) and just to let u know my budget is like $300 for the part and whatever for the tuning:
What exactly is "chipping" my ecu and is that the best option?
If I do chip it then do i just go to a performance shop that has a dyno and computer software to have them tune my car?
What exactly is the Hondata S200 (i have read about it but am still not sure)? is it my best option? how do I tune my car with it?
thanks for any help guys!

Old 08-02-2006, 11:10 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: chipped vs hondata alittle help!

go the chipped way. Get a chipped ecu and then with the ecu you need a basemap burnt into it so you can drive to a shop and get it tuned but your looking over 300 bucks

Old 08-03-2006, 08:12 AM
Laced with Sarcasm
Default RE: chipped vs hondata alittle help!

Is this your daily driver, and do you have an alternate mode of transportation?

If you do have another way to get around, and can afford to have the project car down for a week or so, I'm almost positive you can have the ecu that is currently in the car chipped. Chipping is fairly cheap provided you can find someone who does it as a side job. I wouldnt have a shop do it, only because they'll over charge the **** out of you. Usually those same people who chip, can also burn you a basemap. If not, you just pay for the chipping, then send it to a tuner to have the basemap put on.

You dont have to go with Hondata, there are free alternatives that are commonly used and have been known to keep the motor reliable, as well as powerful. Look into www.pgmfi.org Its a hard site to follow, but theres an irreplacable wealth of information there. Crome seems to be the program of choice among a lot of tuners these days, thats what I chose too.

If you want to be able to tune yourself eventually, then you will need a wideband o2 sensor (which is a good idea anyways) and A/F gauge (not the cheapos). Leave that to the professionals at first until you do some MAJOR research. One wrong tune and a good hard pull, bye bye motor.

Good luck