ECU Tuning & Fuel Management Discuss electronics and related components within.

aftermarket ECU's are they worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 10:22 PM
Default aftermarket ECU's are they worth it?

heres the senerio, i have a 99 civic turbo 1.6 d series vtec and im wondering what a aftermarket ecu can provide me. i have a 1st gen v-afc that controls most things. so just wondering what else i could do with it.
thanks

opinions, comments

Old 01-26-2005, 01:09 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: aftermarket ECU's are they worth it?

for a completely stock setup the stock ecu is just fine, dropping a ton of cash on the ECU wont make you happy with the results. Start with some mods first (like i/h/e) the the ECU should show a little more promise. It will basically maximize the potential of your car, the stock ECU settings are setup for economy rather than performance.

Old 01-26-2005, 03:08 PM

With the turbo on there, I'd highly reccomend it. Especially if you are running high boost.

Old 01-26-2005, 03:14 PM

Yeah. Eventually you're going to want to tune the injection system.

Old 01-26-2005, 07:56 PM

wouldnt the V-AFC take care of that
mapping out the fuel/air ratio?

Old 01-26-2005, 09:39 PM
HCF Member

V-AFC is a basic setup. yeah, itll get the job done on a mild setup like the 5 or so psi you have, so for now, itll be fine. a new ecu gives you way more flexibility for tuning.

Old 01-31-2005, 08:46 PM

get this, checked the ecu awhile back and i remembered alot of green wires, went to a site today and saw a conversion OBD1 to OBD2 wiring harness in all green wires. i thought no way im thinking that i saw the green wires in my head cause i wanted to. so i went to check it and guess what it has a ODB1 conversion. P28 so now i have a OBD1, V-afc, and FMU man this car is loaded with goodies, now time to get rid of some. lol can you say time to burn some chips and get this thing going HOT!

Old 02-06-2005, 02:01 PM
Recognized HCF Member

I was talking to this one guy were him and his buddys work on honda as like for fun nothing to series and they are all into it and what not, and he said that there is this company out of TEXAS that reworks your stock ecu for like 60 bucks and then you can hook a lap top into the ecu and tune the car for different applications, do you guys know what that place in texas is called. He said they really saw a difference.

thanks dustin

Old 02-07-2005, 09:18 AM

i just had my ECU chipped last week for $75 i dont think that is to bad of a price seeing how it did away with all my problems and now its customizable by me.
i got rid of the FMU and V-AFC and now its NOT throwing any codes and runs smooth. this weekend im having a data logging cable put in the box so i can really see what my cars doing and then i plan to start burning my own chips! wWOOHHOO!!! its about time stuff started to go right for me!

Old 02-07-2005, 04:36 PM
Recognized HCF Member

were did you have this done at what is there website

thanks dustin

Quick Reply: aftermarket ECU's are they worth it?