Detailing Discuss detailing your ride within.

painting forn calipers

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 07:26 PM
Super Cereal Admin
Default RE: painting forn calipers

I did mine the cheap-o way.... Dupli-Color high-heatengine enamel.... I took my calipers off and sprayed 'em down... I'm re-doing this summer... my last job was really bad cuz I was in a hurry to do it lol

most importantly, take your time when you do it so you won't have to re-do it later

Old 02-24-2007, 07:45 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well i wouldnt take them off the car....
just be sure to wire brush the crap and clean the crap outta it realy good... should hold great!!!!!

Old 02-24-2007, 08:38 PM
HCF Member

Please for the love of god, go to wal-mart and pick up one of those cheap 3M respirators. They say on the back they aren't approved for asbestos, but you will breathe a LOT of dust in if you try to do it without one. I cleaned 1 caliper without wearing one, and i was blowing it out of my nose for an hour. I quickly hit wal-mart and picked one up, and it worked pretty well. I keep it around in case I sand something, they are handy to have.

and yeah, 15 bucks, get the kit at auto zone or pep boys, etc.. Comes with everythign you need.

Old 02-24-2007, 09:00 PM
Recognized HCF Member

for brake dust ya.... your not suposed to brush it around that stuff can kill ya......

for the initial brush always do that in a well ventilated area and if ya can do it outside!

and the first time ya clean it before brushen... spray it down with the cleaner or even some water....if ya got to... and then hand wire brush it... that way the cleaner or water will weigh down the brake pad dust and it will fall to the ground instead of in the air and into your lungs!!!!!

but if painting.... mask wont do much.LOL your just not painting that much.LOL
but thats also why i like the brush on stuff for the calipers and rotor tip and the outter mounting diameter and mounting area... preaty much everything BUT what the pads rub against.... thats how i did mine and think it helps ALOT

Old 02-24-2007, 10:58 PM

For the front calipers I used sandpaper and thentaped them off and painted them the old fashion way. Then for the back brakes (drums) I took them off and sandblasted them painted them then left them under a heat lamp for a while and it looks amazing I put about 3 coats on the front and back. You dont need $50 stuff just to get an amazing looking caliper job I got mine for $15 like the ones above me said. I believe the stuff I used was duplicolor. I will take pics sometime soon

Old 03-07-2007, 05:00 AM

I was thinking of going red calipars but I realised it would look stupid with only the front done. But if i painted the drums red, that would look even dumber. How do drums come out looking with a colour on them? I would have through you want to leave your drums fairly incon****uious cause they look kind of lame.

Old 03-07-2007, 01:44 PM
Recognized HCF Member

thats why i just say paint em black..... BUT if ya upgrade to some rear disk brakes THEN you can posibly paint them.LOL

but i think any other color then black on drums is UGLY AS HELL!!!!!!!!

Old 03-07-2007, 01:52 PM
HCF Member

I had my brakes painted red for a while, then I took it off... jack up your car and take your tires off to get those calipers off... use a brush and some caliper cleaner to scrape them clean and let em dry, then begin coating them with the paint... I did 4 coats... for the drums I did the same but I just painted them on the car but we taped plastic ALL OVER THE CAR so red wouldn't get on the car at all... same thing, clean and dry out then put the paint on and let it dry... 3 or 4 coats was nice... the only thing that happened is that after 4 months they started to chip and it looked like crap.

Old 03-07-2007, 02:15 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya probably didnt clean or brush them enough....

when i did my drums i took em off the car and used a bench grinder with a wire wheel and REALY SHINED EM UP!!!!!! cause that stock paint is on thier preaty good and then in some spots its realy bad.LOL you need to take it down to bare metal before doing definatly!!!!!!
and it took awhile doing it that way..... next time i might just try sandblasting them! might be easier... plus i just got this little cheap sandblasting gun at harbor freight tools.... it was only like 20bucks... so i thought WHY NOT.. might come in handy for little things... i just gotta find something to try it on

Old 03-07-2007, 04:40 PM
HCF Member

Try it on your face! Yeah I scrubbed it for a long time but it probably wasnt good enough! How is that double din dvd you got? Still running good?

Quick Reply: painting forn calipers