Detailing Discuss detailing your ride within.

How often

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 08:50 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: How often

ORIGINAL: Forty04

ORIGINAL: Silentcracker95

my fav pic
Engine bay looks pretty good man. If you want that extra bling under there, take some of those Armor All Wipes, and use them to wipe down all the black vacuum lines, and the spongy type insulated lines. It'll look more like this..

[IMG]local://upfiles/2331/12860C123299480F8DCF5AD760A470F0.jpeg[/IMG]

With the Royal blue, I like to use the "wax on, wax off by hand" method. Just make sure you do it in sections (Hood, then fenders, then sides, then truck, etc..)
WOW! Your engine compartment looks great! How do you clean the underside of the hood? And how often do you dress up (detail) you engine? Pardon my boldness-what kind of climate do you live in? And one more - do you wax parts of the body inside the compartment?
Very nice ride - and great detail work! [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 11-21-2006, 09:46 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

ORIGINAL: Motor35

WOW! Your engine compartment looks great! How do you clean the underside of the hood? And how often do you dress up (detail) you engine? Pardon my boldness-what kind of climate do you live in? And one more - do you wax parts of the body inside the compartment?
Thank you sir!

My climate is hell, errr...only the opposite. I live in Michigan, where we basically have two seasons, Winter, and Construction. If my engine bay isn't filled with dust, it's caked with road salt, so getting it to where it is in that picture is no easy task. I first cover everything electrical, spray the block with engine degreaser, then spray out the entire engine way with a hose. I then wipe down everything that I can reach to make sure its all smooth and clean. Then, I use wax (Royal Blue) on everything you see that is red. All hoses (vac lines, electrical ducting, etc..) as well as anything else black (battery, brake booster, etc etc etc..) is treated with Armor All Wipes to give them a nice shine.

As for how often I do it.. I don't do it at all in the winter, it's just too big of a pain in the *** with all the road salt I get in there due to traveling all over the place. SO, come Spring time I usually have a 6-8 hour session of only engine detailing (the picture you see above resulted in me getting the worst sunburn of my life, use sunblock, for the love the god ). Then, once the main overhaul is done, it's usually easy to just wipe everything down with a wet rag, and more Armor All wipes every couple weeks, and always before a show or track night.

Hope that helps!

Old 12-01-2006, 09:30 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Forty04

Thank you sir!

My climate is hell, errr...only the opposite. I live in Michigan, where we basically have two seasons, Winter, and Construction. If my engine bay isn't filled with dust, it's caked with road salt, so getting it to where it is in that picture is no easy task. I first cover everything electrical, spray the block with engine degreaser, then spray out the entire engine way with a hose. I then wipe down everything that I can reach to make sure its all smooth and clean. Then, I use wax (Royal Blue) on everything you see that is red. All hoses (vac lines, electrical ducting, etc..) as well as anything else black (battery, brake booster, etc etc etc..) is treated with Armor All Wipes to give them a nice shine.

As for how often I do it.. I don't do it at all in the winter, it's just too big of a pain in the *** with all the road salt I get in there due to traveling all over the place. SO, come Spring time I usually have a 6-8 hour session of only engine detailing (the picture you see above resulted in me getting the worst sunburn of my life, use sunblock, for the love the god ). Then, once the main overhaul is done, it's usually easy to just wipe everything down with a wet rag, and more Armor All wipes every couple weeks, and always before a show or track night.

Hope that helps!
Hey Forty-you can just call me giiiirl! Thanks for the details. This weekend I stocked up on the products you mentioned. When I got loads of work done on my car recently, I paid $50 for an engine steam clean and they did a crappy job. I was not happy. You have inspried me to do it my damn self! I am in Tucson and everything here is just dry and dusty. This weekend we are warming up to 72, so my car and myself have BIG plans Thanks again. -Kricket

Old 12-01-2006, 09:44 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

Hey Forty-you can just call me giiiirl!
Whooops! My bad, sorry about that

I envy you and your 72 degree weather...it's about 25 and snowing here [:@]

Old 12-06-2006, 07:40 AM
HCF Member

Hey Forty! Have you ever used wadding polish? MAN! That stuff is great! Used it to shine up my exhaust. It removes all dust and water spots. My tip looks brand new again ....well, except for a gash on the underside, but otherwise, shiney and clean.

Old 12-06-2006, 07:52 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

Hey Forty! Have you ever used wadding polish? MAN! That stuff is great! Used it to shine up my exhaust. It removes all dust and water spots. My tip looks brand new again ....well, except for a gash on the underside, but otherwise, shiney and clean.
MINT! I'll have to give it a shot, where did you pick it up from?

I've kinda given up on my exhuast tip after an unfortunate incident after installing the boost... I had my tip a tad too close to my bumper and...yeah, it melted all over my damn tip. I'm looking into some twin loop setups right now and once that goes, I'll be all about trying to keep it blingin'. THanks for the heads up!

Old 12-06-2006, 02:56 PM
HCF Member

Damn i just realized hat i forgot to call them when i had those days off[:'(]

Old 12-07-2006, 08:33 AM
HCF Member

I got it at Auto Zone. It is by Eagle One. It is awesome! It is kind of like cotton, you rip off a piece, rub it on any type of aluminum, steel or metal then buff with a microfiber cloth. I also got some brake dust etching off of my steel wheels with the same stuff. Added bonus, it was only about $5! I LOVE IT!!
Sorry to hear about your melting bumper. Good to hear you have a plan.

Old 12-07-2006, 08:46 AM
HCF Member

^^ I can vouche for that. Good product polishing aluminum or metal. [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 01-11-2007, 10:02 PM
HCF Member

Jake, you are my hero. I see cars all day long and black.... ALWAYS the worst. If you dont take car of your car, (all things to keep it clean) then its going to look awful. Once a week is what i would go for, not me though, til i get a paint job of course.