Detailing Discuss detailing your ride within.

Holy crap

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 12:17 PM
HCF Member
Default Holy crap

Guys, my paint looks like ****. I washed it today, and in the sun, it's nothing but white scratches and swirl marks. That paired with my 4-5 door dings and I got downright pissed.

Most of the white scratches are light, but cleaner wax alone won't take them out. I don't have an orbital buffer, and I don't want to pay a detail shop to work on my paint.

What are my options? Will that stuff that 40 setup the group buy on fix all this? Do I need to just buff the hell out of it???

I'm not well versed on the ways of repairing paint.

Old 08-20-2006, 02:38 PM
Default RE: Holy crap

clay bar and the Royal Blue will help if its not to deep of a scratch. the clay bar will sorta clean up the scratch and the wax will help minimize the rest. no need to buff like crazy with RoyalBlue.

Old 08-20-2006, 03:02 PM
HCF Member

Will that get all the swirl marks out?

Old 08-20-2006, 03:13 PM

it should..if not u could get some swirl remover stuff. if done right royalblue wont leave swirlmarks or white residue...best thing might be to remove the wax u have on there now. i've heard but dont know for sure that washing ur car with Dawn dishwasher type soap will remove the wax...or u could just wash it up real well, clay bar, polish, wax. should help lessen appearence of scratch marks and will leave a great shine.

Old 08-21-2006, 08:28 AM
HCF Member

I'm not familiar with Royal Blue or if it has abrasives to remove swirls or not. But in any case you need to use a polish with abrasive properties. Swirls can be removed by hand with a little hard work. Check here for details. In addition to the polishes mentioned in this article, I could safely recommend 3M perfect it II (39002), or Meguiars DACP (dual action cleaner polish) you can get them at pep boys and NAPA auto parts. These are medium cut abrasives that will remove fair to moderate swirls and contaminants. Both can be used by hand or machine.

Use a good microfiber towel or soft terry cloth and rub the direction of the aerodynamics of the car. Example, on your hood, rub back and forth, on your door panels, rub back and forth. This reduces swirls more effectively and would be a good drying technique as any future scratches caused will be less noticealbe front to back rather than circular.

If you don't have halogen or good interior lighting available, you'll need to park in the sun and work from an angle where you can see your progress. Having the surface hot actually helps to remove swirls faster by hand, as heat build up occurs quicker, imitating a buffer. Best of luck to you. Swirls are an undying enemy of mine so I feel your pain... [sm=smiley20.gif]