Detailing Discuss detailing your ride within.

Foggy Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 10:12 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Foggy Headlights

i dont know about the inside but the out side of mine looked like that and last weekend i used a machine polish and now they look brand new. try that

Old 08-20-2006, 05:40 PM

ok have had this problem with my civic. Light wet sand and some good polish will clear this fogg right up. however make sure that the fog/grime is on the outside. because there is a chance that you simply have a sealent broken and have moisture by the bulb. hope it works

Old 10-16-2006, 03:09 PM

for those headlights with the dirty yellowish on the inside i heard that baking the lights can help. you do it by taking the lights out puting them in a oven a bake them to a certian temp which melts the glue holding the lense to the rest of the light. once you baked them just pull apart the lens and clean the inside of the lights and re-glue back together.

Old 10-17-2006, 02:35 AM

WallyWorld (aka: Wal-Mart) has a kit for about $22 that says "permanent fix" on the package along with "money back guarantee". Haven't tried it myself and I don't know anyone who has........however the guarantee might be worth taking a chance on.

Old 11-05-2006, 05:06 PM
HCF Member

new oem style lights are like 90 bucks.
I got eom ones with black housing. I love them and no problems so far. (had them for a few months)

Old 12-21-2006, 06:28 PM
HCF Member

Yeah, if your film is due to acid rain, it's not actually a film at all. Acid rain actually burns into the surface much like it does in autoglass and paint (when a car isn't garaged). On paint, you use polish. On glass, you use glass polish. With plastic, you're going to be best off with wet sanding to smooth out the surface and then an extremely fine polish to return it to it's original luster. It's a heck of a lot more inexpensive then new housings, at about $5 for polish and $1 or less for the sandpaper. Worst case you have to take that route, but why not give it a try before dropping that much money.

Just make sure to always keep water on the housing to provide a lubricant for the sandpaper. Otherwise, you're going to leave fine scratches. 1000 to 1200 grit is probabaly fine, but the finer the better (although it will take longer).

Let us know it it goes man!

Old 12-22-2006, 07:56 AM
HCF Member

Might want to try Eagle One Wadding Polish. It is for aluminum, metal and steel, but someone on this forum mentioned they used the same stuff for the same problem.
It is a wad of cotton, pull off a piece, rub it on, then buff it off. Might be worth a try. It is under $6.00 at Auto Zone or Checker.

Old 12-28-2006, 10:45 AM

guys, original post is over a year old

Old 12-28-2006, 10:53 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

ORIGINAL: cderalow

guys, original post is over a year old
It's all good, the more solutions we have to this problem the better!

Old 12-30-2006, 12:14 AM
HCF Member

take the headlight off (theres a DIY about how to remove them on this forum in the DIY section), take the clear plastic part of the headlight off, wipe it all down clean, make sure there is no moisture in there, put it back on, use silicone caulk all around the edges of the headlights real good (use more than neccessarry), and you should be good.

Or for a temporary fix, i guess just runnin your headlgihts on bright for a long time will evaporate it (or so i hear lol)

Quick Reply: Foggy Headlights