Detailing Discuss detailing your ride within.

cleaning under the hood

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 05:42 PM
Default cleaning under the hood

my '95 ex has some high mileage 165k (actully thats low for a civic haha) and its old obviously and its pretty ditry and grimy under the hood. i was wondering if u guys could give me some cleaning tips and maybe tell me about some materials that may help lift off that dirt and grime so my engine will look a little more presentable.

Thanks!

Old 08-16-2005, 07:27 PM
Default RE: cleaning under the hood

Just use some engine degreaser (no-name works ok for this), and cover any sensitive parts (like air filter) with plastic if it's sticking out (like a SRI or CAI). Spray your warm engine with the degreaser, then after 15-20 minutes, hose it off (car wash sprayer works well here).

Old 08-16-2005, 07:36 PM
HCF Member

i would use a engine degreeser and a powerfull hose then use rags and armeral to touch it up, make sure you cover up everything that shouldent get wet such as your alternator,fuse box, sparkplug...ect, or what you could do, is just get out some rags, armeral, and a brush and some degreeser and put the degreeser on and then brush, then wipe off and use some elbow greese if you dont want to use a hose, ether way works good...i clean without the hose

Old 08-17-2005, 08:07 AM
HCF Member

you could always just take it somewhere to get it steam cleaned if its really filthy.

Old 08-17-2005, 08:59 AM
HCF Member

cleaning ur engine bay is a messy job. DONT do it in ur driveway. Go to a self serve carwash. Make sure u bring about 2 cans of engine degreaser.....ive found that the "Citrus" one works best. Cover any wires u can see, cover the battery too. Make sure u cover the dizzy real tight. Spray that stuff on........and i mean lots of it. Let it sit for about 10 minutes, then use the high pressure rinse and powerwash the crap outta ur motor........when ur done.........do it again with the other can..........then start the car up and let it idle for a bit so it can dry. This is how i clean my motor..........and lemme tell u.......u could eat off of it. lol. Good luck

Old 08-17-2005, 10:15 AM

ORIGINAL: mill$civic

armeral
Whats this?

Make sure you cover the distrubutor up. I did it in my old Si once and then we left the car wash and the car died and wouldnt restart. Had to buy a lighter from the convenience store and use it to dry the dist.

Ive also heard that some degreasers will cause white spots on aluminuim(sp?) which is pretty much your engine so be careful.

Old 08-17-2005, 12:52 PM
mxs
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: mill$civic

armeral
Whats this?
Armor-All!

Old 08-17-2005, 12:57 PM

So thats where those white spots on my engine came from! Drats!!
So which degreaser should I use?

Old 08-17-2005, 01:32 PM
Laced with Sarcasm

Engine Bright

Old 08-17-2005, 02:28 PM

Come on guys, this is getting kinda out of hand. Post in the right forum.

Quick Reply: cleaning under the hood