Detailing Discuss detailing your ride within.

to clay or not to clay???

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 01:39 PM
HCF Member
Default to clay or not to clay???

ok so before i do my big waxing job this weeknd on my car since its been like 9 months.....should i go buy the mequiars clay kit and use that before i do the wax???. Ive never used clay before and im just trying to get my black paint tip top again...So anything else i should do that im forgetting here?, i just dont wanna wax it and it look just ok i wanna do the prep thats needed to make my black paint BLING again......lol

Old 04-29-2006, 03:18 PM
Default RE: to clay or not to clay???

I clay after every wash. Why? It's not difficult, it doesn't take long, and it leaves the paint feeling as smooth as it looks. I highly recommend it.

Old 04-29-2006, 04:53 PM
HCF Member

after you clay does it help the wax stay on or look better on the car at all???

Old 04-29-2006, 07:56 PM

It doesn't help it stay on longer, but the cars paint will look better overall (and feel a lot better). Just think of it like this - when you're looking at a painted surface like a hood you see every imperfection because a hood is a long flat expanse of painted metal. Any visual inconsistencies will catch the light and be noticable. Most of the stuff clay gets its so small you will never see it, but it will get some visual contiminants, and your paint will be better for it. What you're after is paint that looks like liquid, and contaminants are just one exrta thing keeping you from that.

I cleaned a car today that was in very good shape - the most noticable difference came after the clay, the paint felt smoother, looked smoother and more glossy. It's well worth the $20 imo, and you can cut the clay in half and get two or more uses out of it.

Old 04-29-2006, 10:07 PM
HCF Member

whats the best clay kit to get then???....am i missing anything else that will help my paint at all???, i mean im just trying to get my black paint deep and shine again and i didnt know if i was forgetting anything besides the wax and the clay.

Old 04-29-2006, 11:51 PM
February 2010 ROTM

what is a good way to get rid of swirls and light scratches anyone got a complete detailing how to from start to finsih and all the steps in between???

Old 04-30-2006, 12:42 AM
HCF Member

is that suppose to be sarcastic or something to what im asking???....might be my mistake but it sounds like it.

Old 04-30-2006, 09:24 AM
February 2010 ROTM

huh who are you referring to?

Old 04-30-2006, 10:55 AM

ORIGINAL: n8te81

whats the best clay kit to get then???....am i missing anything else that will help my paint at all???, i mean im just trying to get my black paint deep and shine again and i didnt know if i was forgetting anything besides the wax and the clay.
All clay is made by two manufacturers, it's pretty much all the same. Just make sure to lubricate the car well when using it.

So ya, the steps are:

wash
clay
polish
wax/seal.

Old 04-30-2006, 07:53 PM
HCF Member

does lubrication come with the kit when you buy it???....justin i didnt know if you were being sarcastic towards me or if you were being serious cause it was just the way you asked it and i thought you were like a detailer or something,i thought i heard that somewhere but i could be wrong so if you werent my bad.....

Quick Reply: to clay or not to clay???