Detailing Discuss detailing your ride within.

Clay Bar

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 10:43 AM
Default Clay Bar

I used a clay bar on the Mini a while ago, and forgot to post about it. All I have to say is AMAZING. If you think your car is actually clean after washing it, think again. There are still tons of little particles all over the paint. The clay bar picks these up. When you use a clay bar you can acually feel the difference. Where you've already clayed, it is completely and totally smooth, and when you slide your hand over to where you haven't clayed, it gets all rough and nasty. I highly recommend this for the serious auto detailer, especially before waxing.

Old 01-16-2006, 11:20 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Clay Bar

I concur

Old 01-16-2006, 11:22 AM

I also had my car clay bared before it got rewaxed. The last owner rarely washed the car and i had tons of red particles in the back end of the car. Dropped the car off at the detail shop and when i got it back the same day all the red spots were gone. Clay bars are worth it and i think it only cost 20 bucks more for the detail shop to do it. Clay bar with a new wax job will bring back your shine.

Old 01-16-2006, 04:44 PM
HCF Member

i want to use a clay bar, but im to nervious...i heard it could couse scratches if i dont use it right <-that might sound stupied but i was reading up and thats what i heard

Old 01-16-2006, 05:04 PM

thanks for the tip. i always wondered if they worked

Old 01-16-2006, 05:09 PM

Just wash your car first so there are no pieces of gravel or sand on the car.

take your time, it isn't a race........

remember, Clay only cleans paint. it won't remove scratches, nor will it restore the lustre to faded paint.

It is great for removing over spray.

ORIGINAL: mill$civic

i want to use a clay bar, but im to nervious...i heard it could couse scratches if i dont use it right <-that might sound stupied but i was reading up and thats what i heard

Old 01-16-2006, 06:24 PM

Ya, it's super easy to do. All you gotta do is make sure you use plenty of whatever solution comes with the kit. There should be almost no resistance when you are dragging the clay. And yeah, it can start scratching if the clay is too dirty. Just keep folding it so you've got fresh clay at every wipe.

Old 01-16-2006, 06:51 PM
HCF Member

That solution runs out pretty quick. I used the whole bottle up on my cousins 01 Civic Sedan. Anyone got suggestions on how to make or another solution that will work? I've heard that car soap + water works good.

Old 01-16-2006, 07:01 PM

My kit just came with a bottle of something along the lines of "Auto Detailing Spray." So I bought an extra bottle for like 2.99 and was off.

EDIT: It was the Mother's kit, and the spray is California Gold Showtime Instant Detailer.

Old 01-16-2006, 07:21 PM
HCF Member

thats good stuff i used it before...........the royal blue is even better though. Combining the 2 is perfection

Quick Reply: Clay Bar