Detailing Discuss detailing your ride within.

buffering after paint job

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 07:58 AM
HCF Member
Default buffering after paint job

i was curious, i am getting a black paint job, will i have 2 get my car buffered after a few weeks after the paint job and should the paint shop who paints my car provide this?

Old 01-22-2007, 09:32 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: buffering after paint job

They should do it but most of the time they don't.This is 1 thing you should ask the paint company about.If they spray welland don't have much orange peel.I had mine done 6 coats of paint which is enamel paint.The orange peel was hell I had to wet sand mine to perfect the paint now I am preping it again for a light black enamal paint spray then wet sand and clear which if you use enamel paint and clear its a stage 2 for a better shine.

Old 01-22-2007, 11:40 AM
HCF Member

Is the paint job not complete? Why do you think it needs buffing?

Old 01-22-2007, 04:38 PM
HCF Member

I think he heard this from someone.His car isnt painted yet.

Old 01-22-2007, 06:19 PM
HCF Member

^ OIC... Once it's painted, just about anyshop will colorsand (wetsand like nate mentioned) and buff it back toshine for you. I've seen some shops that can spray the paint flat (no orange peel) and not have to follow up with colorsanding /buffing.

But... depending on the softness of the paint and what kind of curing / baking process theyusedetermines the time period they wait before colorsanding and buffing... if necessary.Most shops will do allthat before they return it to the customer though...

Old 01-22-2007, 06:53 PM
HCF Member

ok this is my first time eevry getting a paint job, im not sre someone told me that after my paint job i should get my car buffered in about 2 weeks i dont know if this is tru???, also what do u mean by orange peel and how does this occurr and what should i ask the guy whos gtiving me the paint job, he is using 2-3 clear coats and 3 base coats

Old 01-22-2007, 08:21 PM
HCF Member

From Wikipedia...
Orange peel is a certain type of abnormality that occurs on apainted surface.
Gloss paint sprayed on a smooth surface (such as the body of a car) should also dry into a smooth surface. However, various factors can cause it to dry into a bumpy surface resembling the texture of anorange peel. The orange peel phenomenon can then be smoothed out with ultra-fine sandpaper, but it can be prevented altogether by changing the painting technique or the materials used. Orange peel is typically the result of improper painting technique, and is caused by the quick evaporation of thinner, incorrect spray gun setup (e.g., low air pressure or incorrect nozzle), spraying the paint at an angle other than perpendicular, or applying excessive paint.

Best thing you can do is take a look at some of their work. Don't just take their word for it. Examine a few cars (not just one) and see if it meets your standards. Let them know how much detail you expect from the results and that you are aware of typical common paint defects. They will put forth more effort if you act like you know what you're talking about, do it right the first time, to avoid having to correct mistakes.

To answer your question... If a paint job is done right, in a professional shop, you should not have to bring it back 2 weeks afterwards for buffing. I have never had to do this from any shops I've chosen... Best of luck to you.

Old 01-22-2007, 08:50 PM
HCF Member

ok isee thanks, ive seen about 2 off his cars and they looked good, he is the only guy that has a booth or an enclosed area and that is offerign a reasonalbe price, my friend paid $200 to get his bumper repainted and his eyelids painted, it came out phenomenal, but ill deff make sure he doesnt tAKE me for afool and i have 2 look like this -> [sm=laughat.gif]

Old 01-23-2007, 07:24 AM
HCF Member

Good post jake+++1.I had mine done in a pro paint booth by a everyday painter I saw what he had done in his past I guess it was a bad day for him or something.My mothers brand new mitia has a little orange peel on the edge's straight from the factory.Once it gets little lighter I will take pic so you get a idea of what to look for.

Old 01-23-2007, 01:11 PM
HCF Member

I tried to take some pics but my camera isn't good enough.I would suggest looking at a car or a washing machines paint close up you can see like ripples in the paint.then look at a mirror and see how it reflects that is the finish I am looking for with my paint.You see alot of the mirror finishes at car shows.

Quick Reply: buffering after paint job