Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

xenon vs halogen

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 01:21 AM
HCF Member
Default xenon vs halogen

Yeah I am sure there are 50 posts on this somewhere, but I don't have a ton of time to look them all up right now.

I am running some silverstars right now, in both of our vehicles. They look pretty decent as far as vision and color, they are pretty white. Not HID white but they turn your head a little I guess.

My question is, would an identical wattage Xenon bulb look any better, or project any more light on the road? Other then being a different gas, I don't really know jack about the difference in them.

I want to toss something new in my motorcycle as well, which has a projector head and halogen bulb. I was thinking inf Xenon gave a better HID look then a silverstar I might swap all of my bulbs out for them.

I like the color more blue/white then flat white. I just don't really know if it's worth upgrading or not, is what I have just as good?

Thanks,

Stu

Old 12-23-2007, 04:54 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: xenon vs halogen

Just so ya know those "Xenon" bulbs aren't actually xenon, Xenon is HID.

Old 12-23-2007, 07:44 AM

Original: Sylvania
Definition of HID

High intensity Discharge lighting is light from a plasma discharge rather than a filament. The system involves a ballast to start the light and certain gasses to create the light. Overall the system uses less energy than halogen lighting, while producing 3 times more light.

How HID lights work
High Intensity Discharge Lights do not have a filament. Instead light is created from an electrical discharge between two electrodes in a micro-environment of xenon gas and metal halide salts. The light is emitted by an electrically energized gas -- a plasma discharge-- formed and sustained between the two electrodes.

The distinctive blue-white light of HID lamps stimulates the reflective paints in road markers and signs creating a safer driving environment. Additionally, the increased light output is designed to illuminate a wider area in front of the vehicle, improving visibility and safety, without disturbing the vision of oncoming drivers.

XENARC® HID lamps have over three times the lumens per watt of traditional halogen light sources and are more efficient at converting electrical energy into light. They produce at least 70% more light than traditional lamps, and use less power while producing less heat. This gives designers new freedom to explore the frontiers of front end design. By creating more compact headlights to fit smaller spaces, better aerodynamics are possible.
if you dont want to read it it just states that HID bulbs use xenon gas and create 3x more light with less energy than halogen.
personally i would upgrade

Old 12-23-2007, 08:45 AM
HCF Member

Is it true that some state outlaw this kind of lights?

Old 12-23-2007, 09:21 AM
HCF Member

xenon ftw!!

Old 12-23-2007, 09:33 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: ugh3012

Is it true that some state outlaw this kind of lights?
only if they are not OEM equiped, cause if they did that they would be banning most, BMW's, Audi, Benz's, Acura's, the S2000, Lexus's, Volvo's... i could keep on going

Old 12-23-2007, 02:59 PM
HCF Member

so something like This would be considered an upgrade over silverstars i guess, but i know they aren't HID.

I guess what I am looking for is suggestions for upgraded bulbs that aren't the full HID conversion, but halogen or otherwise, produce good white light, but have a bluish tint and look physically "good" when your driving and etc.

I see all sorts of those "hid look" bulbs on ebay, but I really don't trust some of those imported bulbs that probably won't last for a few months. Anyone have another suggestion. I don't wanna go full HID because I will have to buy some new projectors, and I don't feel like spending any more on heads.

Old 12-30-2007, 10:38 PM

ORIGINAL: ic892003

xenon ftw!!
x2

Old 12-31-2007, 07:58 AM
HCF Member

to be honest i was totally happy wtih my "xenon" bulbs form Ebay. Like $10 for a set, and mine were still going strong after like 6 months (till i hit a deer and had to replace both bulbs). But anyway, they look super white, slightly blue sometimes too, and even wtih the light off, the blue glass of the bulbs reflected off the silver part of the OEM headlights and looked sick even in the daytime. I like how they look alot for sure, but i'm sure HID's would be that much better worht the $10 tho