Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

why do people hate on audiobahn so much?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 03:12 PM
Default why do people hate on audiobahn so much?

Ok, everywhere I go people talk trash about audiobahn. I've had a complete audiobahn stereo before and I never had a problem with it.I think people are just anti-chrome or something. I was at Wattsound, a local audio shop (it might be a chain, i'm not sure), and the guy immediately started bagging on my car as soon as he saw the audiobahn vinyl on the rear window. He bragged about his alpine components to the point where I bought some to replace my audiobahn door speakers. Well, the $70 alpine speakers sound like someone opened thier mouth, let my speakers play in it, then farted the sound out. My $30 door speakers I already had in there kick the crap out of them even though the tweeter on the driver's side is just kinda hanging. I dont understand where all this negativity comes from with AB, they've been good to me as long as I've ever owned anything by them My local audio shop has a comps every now and then with $450 and lower class (there are no prizes and you have to show proof of less than $451 on subs and amps), and I would always place with my old subs. They hang the mic from the dome light with string and masking tape and was getting 136-139db ( i got a little higher with a bandpass over my sealed box..and i'm in a hatch back mind you), some people with $1k systems werent hitting that high. I'm not trying to make a rant out of this, but did I just luck up and get some good speakers from them? I really think the only reason everyone talks so much smack about audiobahn is because the person next to them is. Maybe addiction can help me..

Old 06-24-2007, 03:25 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: why do people hate on audiobahn so much?

audiobahn amps have really dirty power they get loud but in my opinon they sound like poop. iv'e been a SQ competitor for the last 5 years so my standards are a little higher then most.. the shop i work at used to carry audiobahn and we had terrible customer service and warrenty.they just dont impress me at all.

Old 06-24-2007, 03:35 PM
HCF Member

the main thing that detracts from them is the cost to performance ratio. the quality isn't the greatest, and they cost too much for what you're getting. the main thing you're paying for is looks. p.s. i thought they were polished, not chrome.

Old 06-24-2007, 03:39 PM
HCF Member

i'm not a big fan of them either. I have never heard audiobahns sound great, but they are nowhere near the worst. I am a big fan of alpine speakers personally, in particular the type r line, and in my experience with them, if you put the right power behind them, they sound awesome. but the thing about speakers is that eveyone has their own preference on what sounds best, so some people like alpine, some like audiobahn or polk or orion etc. but one thing that most agree with is thataudiobahn amps are not the best

Old 06-24-2007, 07:08 PM
HCF Member

i cant really answer your question. I just know, I almost purchased an audiobahn amp but was steered away

Old 06-25-2007, 06:42 AM

I do know the amps arent that great. Well, they are good but they are expensive for the amount of power you're getting. I'd just as soon buy an optiD from Lanzar or a HiFonics Brutus or something. I will second the type R line from alpine being good, I just put a 12 in a bandpass for a friend and its amazing. The guy at the audio shop sold me some type s components. I might just be used to the sound of mine though. I know they will never be on the same level as say JL, soundsplinter, polk, rainbow, etc., but they arent garbage as most audio snobs say.

Old 06-25-2007, 08:15 AM
HCF Member

i love Alpine to death, but i cant deny that one of my friends old Audiobahn system bumped REALLY hard. I've noticed that too (that they get hated on), but i imagine its the bling factor or something relating to that.