Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Who's Running Amps With Stock Electrical...

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 09:34 AM
Default Who's Running Amps With Stock Electrical...

I have a 300W 4ch Kicker amp and I am installing an AQ1200D for my subs in an 09 Si Sedan. I've been on forums and have been told that I should upgrade my electrical with a class 34 battery, big 3 cables and higher rated alternator.
I truly didn't want to go thru all that expense for this. On the other hand, I've been on other forums that say I shouldn't have any problems with my stock system.
I'm here to ask if anyone is running a similar setup with all stock electrical components and what their real experience is.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:52 AM
HCF Member

I've had a 600 watt Sony amp in my car for 3 years + without an issue.

Run the new amp and see what happens. If your battery starts dying upgrade the big three and go from there. Good luck!

Last edited by norbster86; 01-27-2010 at 10:05 AM.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:13 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by norbster86
I've had a 600 watt Sony amp in my car for 3 years + without an issue.

Run the new amp and see what happens. If your battery starts dying upgrade the big three and go from there. Good luck!
key words 600watt and sony amp that 600 watts is more like 150watts rms. the gentleman above you is running a true 1500watts rms and yes you do need to upgrade your electrical a bigger alt an agm battery or a 2nd small agm battery in the trunk and the "big 3" upgrade are all needed. You can't just run that much stereo and expect your stock electrical to keep up.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:21 PM
HCF Member

^ agreed. And I have the certifications to back those recommendations. Please don't even think about a capacitor either; those are a joke... a big fat joke. Definitely need a higher power alternator (I use Ohio Generator), most likely a higher quality battery (I use a Optima yellow top D51 relocated to the trunk), and some nice thick gauge wire with fuses both at the battery and distribution blocks.

I am 100% sure your stock wiring will be ok for a while but you'll have headlight diming issues and you'll eventually start blowing components. You may even notice a decrease in horsepower because your engine components are being robbed by your sound system. I work in the 12 volt industry and I always recommend higher quality power components be installed before upgrading to a serious system.

Another way to look at it... how many amps does your alternator put out? (105 amps) subtract all of your normal loads... (60-85 amps depending on hvac/other temp use devices) then you're left with the available amperage (20). Now look at the fuses on your new amps. The AQ has 3, 40 amp fuses if I remember right... which puts you at a little below 120 amps at peak usage, not to mention the 4 channel! Your alternator can't even run the amps without the vehicle in the equation, upgrade upgrade upgrade!

Old 01-28-2010, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by kanarrjl
key words 600watt and sony amp that 600 watts is more like 150watts rms. the gentleman above you is running a true 1500watts rms and yes you do need to upgrade your electrical a bigger alt an agm battery or a 2nd small agm battery in the trunk and the "big 3" upgrade are all needed. You can't just run that much stereo and expect your stock electrical to keep up.
Where do I get the Big Three Kit for my 09 Civic and what guage cables are they?

Old 01-28-2010, 09:22 AM
HCF Member
Old 01-28-2010, 09:24 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by i30stmi
^ agreed. And I have the certifications to back those recommendations. Please don't even think about a capacitor either; those are a joke... a big fat joke. Definitely need a higher power alternator (I use Ohio Generator), most likely a higher quality battery (I use a Optima yellow top D51 relocated to the trunk), and some nice thick gauge wire with fuses both at the battery and distribution blocks.

I am 100% sure your stock wiring will be ok for a while but you'll have headlight diming issues and you'll eventually start blowing components. You may even notice a decrease in horsepower because your engine components are being robbed by your sound system. I work in the 12 volt industry and I always recommend higher quality power components be installed before upgrading to a serious system.

Another way to look at it... how many amps does your alternator put out? (105 amps) subtract all of your normal loads... (60-85 amps depending on hvac/other temp use devices) then you're left with the available amperage (20). Now look at the fuses on your new amps. The AQ has 3, 40 amp fuses if I remember right... which puts you at a little below 120 amps at peak usage, not to mention the 4 channel! Your alternator can't even run the amps without the vehicle in the equation, upgrade upgrade upgrade!
you work for Rockford or what? -live in phoenix used to be michigander master mecp certified.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:03 AM
HCF Member

No, Rockford is going under this year... (mark my words, they're not doing good at ALL!)so I jumped back into installing. Doing my own thing. I also do training for companies like Best Buy.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:06 AM
HCF Member

did you work for rockford?

Old 01-28-2010, 10:19 PM
HCF Member

No, just alot of work "for" them. Installing and carrying their products; being supportive to their brand and things like that. Like, I have a ton of Rockford swag. T-shirts, banners, all kinds of ****. I'm done though. Their company has just gone downhill, fast. New ownership ya know.

Quick Reply: Who's Running Amps With Stock Electrical...