Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

What do I need for an Audio System?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 07:55 PM
Default What do I need for an Audio System?

Yes, I am extremely n00bish to everything cars pretty much, and find myself with a 2008 Honda Civic Coupe DX. So what do I need to get that Audio System? I pretty much know you need a Subwoofers, Speakers, Amplifier, likely a new Deck...what's best for a Civic? what are your suggestions and recommendations? is Dual Voice Coil Speakers the way to go? How many watts do you need on an Amplifier to match what your Subs are putting out? What kind of costs am I looking at when it's all done?

Appreciate any feed back guys. I'm pretty much lookin' for some more bass is all, so Subwoofers are a must. Thanx in Advance (Pictures of my Car, soon to folllow)

Old 02-16-2008, 11:31 PM
Default RE: What do I need for an Audio System?

wow man. i dont think you can be any vague-er. my recommendation is head to a best buy or circuit city to get some ideas then you can ask more specific questions

Old 02-17-2008, 05:28 AM
HCF Member

If you just want more bass I suggest getting a 10" or 12" subwoofer, and replacing the speakers.

Or, if your not loking for that much bass, try just replacing your speakers and amp them

Old 02-17-2008, 09:33 AM
HCF Member

Ok, if you really want some advice find a store that specializes in Car audio.
No offense, but Best buy and circuit city guys know jack s*** about the products that they sell and what components really work well together. All they are trying to do is get you to buy the most expensive stuff and then they'll try and get you to buy any extra that they can think of.
You, being a newbie to all this, don't go into there or you'll basically be taken advantage of.
Find a store like Audio Express, Custom sounds (those are just stores in my area that specialize in car audio), someone that only deals with this stuff. They will be much more helpful to you and your wallet.
BUT, if you really just want to throw some ricer box in your trunk, like one of those boxes with the plexiglass that had blue LEDs, then go to Best Buy and buy one of their "kits".
I suggest reading up on all of the workings of car audio:
https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_540822/tm.htm.
then come back and ask more specific questions.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:41 AM
HCF Member

Here's some great sites, there almost the exact same:
http://www.caraudiobook.com
http://www.caraudiohelp.com

Either one of those will educate you a lot on the workings of car audio.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:00 PM
HCF Member

can we say... search

Old 02-18-2008, 06:01 PM
HCF Member

I looked at the dash of the 08 Civic and it looks like you can't put an aftermarket HU by yourself. Go to a good car audio shop to get it done.

I'm happy with my Alpine 9887, but it's awesome to upgrade this with amps and a subwoofer.

Check out Elemental Designs. They have good subwoofer that can hit low and are designed for small boxes. And they can make a custom box for you and ship it to you! Plus their 5 channel amp has tons of power and S/N > 100.

See http://www.edesignaudio.com/index.php?cPath=1_22

Old 02-19-2008, 08:21 AM
HCF Member

tbh I wouldn't answer someone with just 2 posts anyway
and i doubt he's going to come back to read this considering it's been 3 days anyway

Old 02-20-2008, 11:32 AM

I am not car savy in general,less so in the audio dept.I was actually inquiring in a Circuit City about speakers for my '07 sedan.The guy said that I'd be making a misake buying more powerful speakers for my stock sound system.I guess they would not be...what,power compatable? I was hoping to merely get awesome speakers and not go the whole nine yards wih an entirely new EVERYTHING! My audio system is not that bad actually even for 160 watts. I gather the coupe Civics rocks 350 watts.Oh well...can't have everything.I did not want the coupe.

I don't suppose that it is possible to put a subwoofer in the cabin of sedan,right?

Old 02-24-2008, 07:12 PM

ORIGINAL: imshirazy

tbh I wouldn't answer someone with just 2 posts anyway
and i doubt he's going to come back to read this considering it's been 3 days anyway
Oh that's harsh [sm=smiley36.gif]

I really want to be a part of this forum, I do have a new car, and I am very thankful for all the info you guys have given me. I was actually asking around, and I got a couple of ideas on Rockford and JL Subwoofers, and maybe an Alpine Amplifier. I might go for some Subwoofers at a discount/clearance shop considering that they can still be really good, my friend was saying aslong as the sub isn't crap when tapping it, then it should do good.

So like I promised, here are some pictures of mycar

[IMG]local://upfiles/29092/DFFB0B0E584E4C95921EDD4B7F52910F.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/29092/5CEF6D664375482592C193642EB899A9.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/29092/F95F90F8F16B46358F963E8CA738A3D8.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/29092/3EB8E3A3E80F45BC960F7CBBADCBF61D.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/29092/C7895A61D9EB4EC2AFF7CC0945F8AD09.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: What do I need for an Audio System?