Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Underbody neons

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 06:48 PM
Default Underbody neons

I bought underbody neon lights a while ago. Problem is I dunno how to install them, cuz the bottom of a civic seems very complicating and the instructions say I need to install the lights away from the fuel lines jacking points, exhaust, etc.

Anybody got suggestions?

Old 02-13-2006, 09:24 PM
Default RE: Underbody neons

Yea those are tough to install , can you give us the type of Neon they are... 4 piece, 6 piece and what kind of car you have?

Old 02-13-2006, 09:30 PM

all i know is run your car very hard so everything under car is hot so u know where to and where to not put the neons so they don't melt. thats all i really know on how to install them. hope it helped

Old 02-13-2006, 10:24 PM

the neon set I bought is a 4-piece set, and the car I drive is a '01 Civic LX Coupe

Old 02-14-2006, 01:23 PM
HCF Member

Heres a very detailed DIY, its not on a civic but its the exact same process..hope this helps

http://vamp.darkravers.net/DIYInstal...derbodyKit.cfm

Old 02-14-2006, 09:06 PM

WOW! This really helps alot!

Thanx dude

Old 02-16-2006, 03:17 AM

i used to have underbody lights on my last car.

basically, wiht a 4-piece underbody kit, you have to mount the lights on a flat-ish surface underneath, but be careful not to mount them on the fiberglass flooring, else it's just gonna fall off. as far as running the wires, make sure to use ties or some sort of method to keep them from dangling. Also, when mounting, i think they give you screws, but if not, make sure to use self-tapping screws so they dont just fall off.

The problem I had wiht them on my last car was i would get slack in the wires, and then wires would just be hanging. kinda dangerous if ur driving and you run over a tree branch or something...it'd just rip them off.

As far as the heat shield goes, we ran the wire over the heat shield for the exhaust system, so it wouldn't burn the wiring.

the overall setup of the wiring is fairly simple....from the neons, there should be a red and black wire. the black ground wire should be grounded to somewhere on the car that is touching hte frame (ie. a bolt going to the frame, else somewhere directly on the frame itself). The red wire should go to a switch, and then from the switch to a fuse, and from the fuse to the power supply (either positive terminal on the battery, or into the fuse box). I dont suggest the battery terminal because it causes your battery to corrode over time. I had that problem with my undercar lights on my last car.

there is a lil thing you can buy at autozone that basicaly turns one of your 10amp fuses in your car into a Y adapter with a positive wire lead. You can purchase that then just run the positive wire straight into that lead. makes it REALLY easy, and you dont even have to do any splicing, etc.

hard to explain in text. hope that helps though...sorry if it's a lil sporatic...getting late and kinda getting a lil tired. HAHA

Old 04-09-2006, 09:50 AM
HCF Member

I was just reading this an i was wondering, how do you know what you can drill into and what you cant. How can you be sure you dont make holes in anything important

Old 04-09-2006, 11:38 AM
HCF Member

humm thats a hard one to explane^..just look under your car for mounting options and dont drill into anything that moves or goes in places that will cause leaks and stuff..