Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Underbody kits

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 05:05 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Underbody kits

mine was all custom work... using some L or U aluminum channeling to hide and protect the lights, then using some 6ft flexstrips http://www.oznium.com/led-flex-strips

everything else is zip ties and wires. fairly simple for anyone to do... 2 wires on each light strip, copper and silver, hook them all to eachother all copper to copper and silver ot the silver, copper wires to a ground and silver to a switched FUSED power source. and the side channels need some self taping screws, be carefull... use SHORT self taping screws.... and look where you put them... ya only need 2-3 per long channling they dont weigh to much.

tho i only had flexstrips on the front and back.... the sides were cold cathodes end to end, problem with them is the bulbs break and the transformers will fry with even a small drop of water geting inside. and they burn up....

Name:  ledflex013.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  30.2 KB.
Name:  leds005.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  26.3 KB

Name:  leds002.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  34.5 KB

Name:  leds001.jpg
Size:  41.1 KB

you can kinda see the bulbs on the sides with the cold cathodes but the front and back strips where completly hidden!

Name:  leds003.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  19.5 KB

Name:  frontledstrips009.jpg
Size:  29.6 KB

plenty bright and no dots..... BUT then again each strip costs 70bucks.... but ya get what you pay for IMO with these flexstrips! very bright and completly sealed, and practicaly indestructable...
i got my front strip caught on some snow and ice pile when screwing around and it ended up geting snaged very hard!!!!! ended up busting the internals apart, i simply sliced a spot open on the strips non lit side and soldering on power and ground wires, and it works fully again

also they are trimable..... so you can cut these to practicaly any size you need.... hardest part is soldering on new wires onto the cut sections depending on how small they are cut.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:21 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Underbody kits

i've had two or three eBay kits, install is easy, takes a little practice to get good at hiding the tubes, butonce installed i think its worth the $50. I aimed the LEDs at the ground, then secured them with the apoxy around the brackets so the tubes wouldn't rotates, then just wired a switch to my fusebox and mounted it on my center console. Pretty straight forward, running the wires from the tubes can get tricky though. My rear tube has it's wire ran along my amp wires, then all the other ones are up through the door jams and one is through the outside of the engine bay.