Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Trying to install a avic-d1 in a 02 civic help please

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 10:13 PM
Default Trying to install a avic-d1 in a 02 civic help please

Hello all. I am a noob, just registerd. I was trying to install a Pioneer Avic-d1 into my 02 civic and i ran into some problems.

1: is there a double din faceplate that i could purchase? i have seen the single din but naturally i need a double din.

2: this is a general question: for some reason the map on the screen is rotated 180 degrees. let me try to explain: while i am on the right side of a highway on a service road, the image on the map shows me on the left side of the highway. BUT, all the streets are correct, its just the complete image is inverted. (hard to explain).

3: where can i locate the VSS wire in the civic?

THANK YOU FOR THE HELP, I APPRECIATE IT!

Old 02-21-2006, 12:04 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Trying to install a avic-d1 in a 02 civic help please

Idk abt vss but there is a tach wire right by the battery. I think it is orange (not sure tho its been a while) and to my knowledge they dont sell a double din dash kit for our civics, as they are only din and a half.
-SHane

Old 02-21-2006, 08:13 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: nyzgreatst

Hello all. I am a noob, just registerd. I was trying to install a Pioneer Avic-d1 into my 02 civic and i ran into some problems.

1: is there a double din faceplate that i could purchase? i have seen the single din but naturally i need a double din.

2: this is a general question: for some reason the map on the screen is rotated 180 degrees. let me try to explain: while i am on the right side of a highway on a service road, the image on the map shows me on the left side of the highway. BUT, all the streets are correct, its just the complete image is inverted. (hard to explain).

1) the unit will fit right in there and screw in from the sides, no kit needed.

2) you have the GPS locator turned sideways so it thinks you're driving sideways. There should be something on it that points forward... it has to face forward.

3) no idea what the VSS is... go to your honda dealer and have them photocopy an ECU pinout from the service manual.

Old 02-21-2006, 10:20 PM
HCF Member

Do you got a pic of it? I wanna see how it looks installed.

Old 02-21-2006, 10:24 PM
HCF Member

VSS Is Vehicle Speed Sensor. The new AVIC N1 Has vehicle dynamics, it shows estimated Horsepower, and can calculate lateral G forces to estimate your 1/4 ETA and 0-60.....it also shows a speedometer and voltage gauges......pretty cool effects.....

Old 02-24-2006, 09:29 PM
HCF Member

Yeah, I've seen one in action, they're pretty sweet. I just wasn't sure what VSS stood for.

I still say your best bet is getting a copy of the service manual from your dealer. That's what my friend did to get everything on his wired up.

Old 02-25-2006, 08:25 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: amg6975

ORIGINAL: nyzgreatst

1) the unit will fit right in there and screw in from the sides, no kit needed.

2) you have the GPS locator turned sideways so it thinks you're driving sideways. There should be something on it that points forward... it has to face forward.

3) no idea what the VSS is... go to your honda dealer and have them photocopy an ECU pinout from the service manual.
the unit doesn't just fit unless you got the reverb or special edition with the factory double din 6 disc mp3 changer, otherwise you only have the single din, and the pioneer avic-d1 is double din. and yes there is a kit, look on crutchfield.com

Old 02-25-2006, 08:36 AM
HCF Member

its not double din..............my buddy has one, its a single din deck.

Old 02-25-2006, 08:45 AM
HCF Member

the d1 is double din, your thinking of n1

Old 02-25-2006, 08:52 AM
HCF Member

I misread, definetly thought he said N1. The d1 is pretty nice too, not too pricey either.

Quick Reply: Trying to install a avic-d1 in a 02 civic help please