Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Suggestions for a cheap, double din touch screen dvd player?..

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 10:40 AM
Default RE: Suggestions for a cheap, double din touch screen dvd player?..

Okay, so if i go with a good brand, are there any that are easily bypassed? also are there any that will allow a dvd to play on the video/audio out without it displaying on the dash? reason being i have a line on a roof mount screen that i might install for my kid in the back seat, and while i don't wnat the dvd to play up front, i still want it to play for the back seat kid while driving.

I bought a jensen dvd player for my other car just recently, single din, only 3" screen, but i have it pushing out to a 7" criling mount screen for the back seat, it was just a single wire to ground to bypass the "only on while parked" feature... although it does run on the dash while running the video out, but this isn't a big deal because its only a 3" screen, i couldn't see it if i wanted to.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:08 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ya my video bypass was very simple to instal! just a few wires conected to the radios harness adaptor and it came preprogramed for my model alpine. and after ya wire it up theres nothing else to do...
you can wire up a kill switch inline with the bypass so you can turn it off if your area has some type of inspection or if i cop pulls ya over just flip the switch really quick... and the video will go off...

and with my alpine unit you can turn the radios monitor OFF at any time, but the monitor OUTPUT should still have a picture for the rear or where ever your other screen is. kinda cool feature... you can also listen to the radio and watch the video from the dvd......
tho i dont have anymore monitors in my 99civic. not worth it to me since my monitor is in the front middle so everyone can see it good enough

only thing im NOT SURE ABOUT is if the rear monitor output will have a audio either... i dont think you can listen to the radio and the audio from the dvd at the same time...

just search ebay... my video bypass was pretty cheap... i think only like 30bucks.. you could do it with just afew switches grounded BUT thats a PITA every time ya want to see the video... just be sure its a PAC these are the best brand name bypasses

Old 04-15-2008, 07:05 PM

i don't want to do a video bypass, i just want it to display in the output while I'm driving.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:22 AM
HCF Member

i dont think you can do that like you can get a little portable dvd that will hook up to it but i dont think you can only have the output work

Old 04-16-2008, 06:08 AM
Recognized HCF Member

well if ya just want it in the back for the kids why not only spend 200bucks get two 5-6inch screens with a dvd player? i think those units also have headphones. that way you can still listen to what you want to listen to in the front.....

i just dont see why you want to spend 1K bucks just for video in the back seat.......

Old 04-16-2008, 08:51 AM
HCF Member

The ivaw-200 can be had easily to be able to output while driving. Where I work the installers do it all the time (I mean they dont do that because its illegal).

I am not sure if this is in your budget but the AVICZ1 is now pretty cheap compared to when it was new. It has a built in hard drive and NAV. you can buy a software update for like $250 that will make it basically a Z3. The problem with this unit, it is a little more of a pain to get it set up to display video when not in park.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:25 AM
Recognized HCF Member

just buy a PAC bypass unit off ebay. afew wires and your golden! gont ghetto it up... its 30bucks thats it.... if you can wire up the harness adaptor to your new radio and plug that into your stock harness than thats all ya need.....

its not complicated at all!

Old 04-16-2008, 02:26 PM

ORIGINAL: addiction2bass

well if ya just want it in the back for the kids why not only spend 200bucks get two 5-6inch screens with a dvd player? i think those units also have headphones. that way you can still listen to what you want to listen to in the front.....

i just dont see why you want to spend 1K bucks just for video in the back seat.......
because i have a ceiling mount monitor, so i want to have it all look OEM, or at least VERY clean.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:51 PM
Recognized HCF Member

then how about a dvd player under the front seats.....
just an idea....