Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Subs and Spare Tire

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 06:50 AM
HCF Member
Default Subs and Spare Tire

I own a '98 Civic DX sedan and I have two 12" Rockford Fosgate P3's in a custom built ported box in the trunk. My problem is the spare tire and jack are in the floor of the trunk and underneath the sub box. Has anyone done some kind of modification for their spare tire and jack? Or will I need to put them in the back seat?

Old 09-15-2009, 09:58 AM

It's gonna be hard to get under the subs in order to access the spare tire regardless if you make a custom trunk floor or something like that. I made a "custom" trunk floor since the stock one sucks. My set-up doesn't help you getting your spare easier, just makes it better looking and won't break as easily since it is twice as thick at the stock one. Maybe you can take this idea and change it up a little to better suit you.

Name:  Newtrunkfloor4.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  81.7 KB

I do have a sub in my car, and it is a pain to get to the spare. However, I just fold the back seats down, push the sub onto the seats, grab what I need from underneath and then push the sub back to where it was in the trunk.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:56 PM
HCF Member

my sub box ( 2 10's) are attached to my rear strut bar and i flip them up and back and it rest perfectly on the cargo cover thing allowing my full acces to the spare tire area

maybe you can do someething like that?

Old 09-15-2009, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by hamorhead
my sub box ( 2 10's) are attached to my rear strut bar and i flip them up and back and it rest perfectly on the cargo cover thing allowing my full acces to the spare tire area
Do this. You can even take it all the way and use hinges and brackets to attach the box to some hinges that attach to the strut bar via brackets. Then you could flip the box up with the hinges.

Old 09-15-2009, 06:40 PM
HCF Member

lol i got the idea of keeping the sub box attached to the strut bar from you trust
actually half of the reason i bought the strut bar was to keep my subs from sliding

and yea i attached them the same way (you posted pics a while back)

Old 09-15-2009, 07:27 PM
HCF Member

before i fiberglassed my trunk i just left enough wire on it to pull the box in and out no it wasn't perfect but 2 p3 12s are lighter than what i dealt with

Old 09-15-2009, 07:43 PM
Chubby Chaser

but haamorhead has a crx(hatch) and op has a sedan(trunk) i dot think you can flip subs up in a trunk

Old 09-16-2009, 05:26 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by 94civichatchback
but haamorhead has a crx(hatch) and op has a sedan(trunk) i dot think you can flip subs up in a trunk
The top of my box is just about touching the top part of my trunk (where the two 6X9's are). Also I don't think there is a lot of give to the wires that are going into the box so I'm not sure if I could fold the seats down and slide it back (although I will try). I'll try and post some pictures of my trunk/subs soon.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:41 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by 94civichatchback
thats true and my hatch has to be open too (obviously) so i have tons of room

Old 09-16-2009, 06:49 PM
HCF Member

u rarely need to get to ur spare tire, so if you get a flat just take the subs out and put them in the back seat then change the tire, its really not that big of a deal....

Quick Reply: Subs and Spare Tire