Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

subs in the coldd

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 07:37 PM
Default subs in the coldd

welll i live in MN, and that means coldd weather.. when should i pull my subs?

Old 11-15-2007, 11:35 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: subs in the coldd

i've never had any peoblems in the cold weather(I live in northern ohio). If the rubber on the outside of the cone gets stiff and you play it loud, you run the risk of tearing it. A good sub won't have that problem. what type is it?

Old 11-15-2007, 11:55 AM
HCF Member

A sub is not a car they dont need to warm up. They heat the coils the instant a signal is present. No need to pull them out at all.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:34 PM
HCF Member

the only thing to worry about it blowing your windows if it is really cold and you have some pretty beefy subs...

Old 11-16-2007, 01:19 PM
HCF Member

I take out my subs, I can see the frostbuild up on metal parts in the winter. People say to leave them in, just play the music low for the first couple minutes.

Old 11-16-2007, 02:34 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Basil

the only thing to worry about it blowing your windows if it is really cold and you have some pretty beefy subs...
Bull****. Do you have any idea the sound pressure needed to actually blow a window out? No? Then dont say **** like that.

Old 11-16-2007, 02:57 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Marty

ORIGINAL: Basil

Bull****. Do you have any idea the sound pressure needed to actually blow a window out? No? Then dont say **** like that.
X2.... .LOL
sorry if 2 BIG @SS 18inch subs with LOTS of juice cannt bust out the windows.... NOTHING THE MODERATE BUMPER will have to worry about
if you think you can..... well your windows werent instaled properly, which is the common reason why windows blow out from loud systems....
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/videos/hondaflex2.wmv
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/videos/hondasback.wmv
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/videos/singapore2.gif

check out all his videos.LOL if anyones gonna blow out some windows its this guy MEADE!!!!!!!
some of the sickest DAILY DRIVING systems ive seen videos of

but like already said.... with having your system you can keep it in the car just dont CRANK IT UP to full tilt for a few mins..... you want the subs surrounds and such to free up alittle bit....
its like this... try moving a piece of rubber when its cold.... then after it warms up a bit or slowly flexed for a bit for it to free up a bit....
ive been rocken them thru the winter for 10years now never had any problems and NEVER blown out any windows. LMFAO

Old 11-16-2007, 04:32 PM
HCF Member

Most surrounds are not rubber though, they are a foam composit. The only time I have ever busted the surround on a newer, decently designed sub was when I pluged a 8W7 into a wall socket. It lasted for about 30 seconds then the surround started tearing, then the voice coils welded themselves together. But considering that a standard 110volt wall outlet puts out around 4000 watts into a 3ohm load(that is what the sub is setup at) I can understand why it did it.

Cool fact: 110 volt wall outlet will put out around 4000 watts but a 220 volt outlet will hammer out around 16,000 watts lol.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:58 PM
HCF Member

sorry that nobody caught the sarcasm... I know they cant bust the windows, they even tried to prove a similar thing on mythbusters and showed it is not easily done, lol by the way why such a harsh response?

Old 11-20-2007, 07:41 AM
Recognized HCF Member

well personaly im that way cause so many people CLAIM they saw thier friends car blow out some windows with thier stereo and they swear by it..... but unless they are a true COMP VEHICLE i dont see it happening! i think most comp vehicles just use that super thick plexiglass bolted to the car just to prevent flexing... not sure if they actualy would blow out the windows. tho im sure the windshield would crack......
ive seen the windshield crack and spider web in pleanty of videos......

just most people swear theyve blown windows out..... and i doubt them all expetialy if ive seen thier weak stereo.LOL

Quick Reply: subs in the coldd