Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Sub Help ?!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 05:49 PM
Default Sub Help ?!?!?!?

Wats up i wanted to know if somebody could help me? I have a JL W6 V2 and i wanted to know how to connect it with the dual voice, and what would it do? would it sound louder or the same, also wat would be the best way to install it (i have a 600W alpine amp i'll post the model # tomorrow) to get the most power out of it?
ANY REPLY APPRECIATED !!!

Old 03-24-2008, 08:15 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Sub Help ?!?!?!?

(depending on your amp - mono,2 channel, or 4 channel) bridge the amp and run the positive to the positive on one voice coil, and run the negative to the negative on the other coil - wire the two remaining unused posts (one positiveto theone negative) from the coils to each other. It may sound weird to wire a negative to a positive, but that's the way the cookie crumbles, just make sure the polarity(+/-) from your amp to the speaker is the same!

Old 03-24-2008, 10:03 AM

its a 2 channel amp

Old 03-24-2008, 05:03 PM

if you do it the way chunkbird says all you will be doing is cancelling out the other voice coil. Over a period of time this could harm the sub. If you wanted to use both go ahead and bridge the amp and run a positive to each coil and a negative to each coil. That way you will be using both coils.

This means you can wire the subwoofer several ways, to run 1 coil, both at parallel, or both as series. Parallel connections will halve the resistance as long as both coils (which will be the case) run at the same ohms, so parallel wiring a dual voice coil 4 ohm sub will halve it to 2, series wiring will add all ohms amount, since there's two 4 ohm resistances, it will become 8. If you leave it at just one coil (not suggested) it will stay at 4.

[ul][*] Parallel: A dual 4-ohm voice coil subwoofer with its coils wired in parallel presents a 2-ohm load to your amplifier. Since an amplifier produces more wattage at a lower impedance, the parallel connection ensures you'll get the most output from your amp. In the same fashion, if you have a stereo amplifier and two DVC subs, wire both subs for 2-ohm impedance (one per channel) for maximum output.[*] Series: Series wiring lets you configure multiple woofers to one amplifier at an acceptable impedance. Wire both coils in series for an 8-ohm impedance, and then wire two 8-ohm subs together in parallel for 4-ohm total impedance (perfect for most 2-channel amps bridged to mono operation). Another example: if you have a high-powered 2-channel amplifier, wire four 8-ohm subs per channel (each channel sees a 2-ohm load).[*] Independent: You can wire each voice coil to a separate channel of your amplifier, if you prefer not to bridge your amp. Independent wiring is a nice option if you're wiring two DVC subs to a 4-channel amplifier — one voice coil per channel. [/ul]

Old 03-25-2008, 07:08 AM
HCF Member

Here is the real problem with not planning. Getting a sub cause its a good deal, or doing the same with an amp. NOT looking at the impedance of the subs voice coil, or the capability of the amp. Getting a mono, or a 2 channell.
Your 2 channell might not really like a 2ohm bridged mono load. It will run hot. (sub wired in parallel) then you wire the sub in series and the amp will chug along at an idol. You see the problem? Get a different amp, or get a different sub...... to do it correctly

Old 03-25-2008, 06:20 PM

Thanks for the replies, but ima noob at this, n Kartune the sub n amp was a HELL OF A DEAL!!!! (both for $80). neways so is it a good idea connecting it as dual voice or should i just connect it normaly (+/+ nd -/-). Does connecting the sub at dual voice make it louder? what does it do?
cuase im trying to get the most outta both of them btw the amp is an alpine mrv-t505.
can nebody help me plz.....

Old 03-26-2008, 08:28 AM

ok i looked up everything and your sub is 4 ohm and your amp is a 2 ohm bridged. So wat you will need to do is drop your sub down 2 ohms. This is how: you will wire the positive of both coils to eachother and then the negatives of both coils to eachother. then you will run a wire from the positive side of one coil to the amps positive on one channel and the negative side of the same coil to the negative side of the opposite channel. This should run the sub in a 2 ohm bridged mono. The amp can handle that without getting too hot. If you want the amp to cool better mount it vertical instead of laying it down. Now i would also suggest getting the 4 gauge power wire too. You might be able to get away with an 8 gauge but it would be pushing it too much. Definetly get a 4 gauge. Theres your answer and i hope youlike the way it sounds. GL with the wiring

Old 03-26-2008, 06:28 PM

Thx man.... well its to late for me to mess wit it now. but ima try it tommorow nsee how it goes.
i'll post watever happens tommorow. hope this works.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:02 PM
HCF Member

You need to wire both voice coils for proper operation. Each voice coil has it's own Pos/Neg leads, and they need to be wired in paralell or series. Paralell means each voice coil has its own set of wires connecting it to the amp. Series means the positive of one voice coil is wired to the negative of the other, and vice versa (electricity must pass through one sub before it reaches the other, like a daisy chain).

You only have one sub, and a 2channel amp which is bridged, so wire them in series.

Your bridged amp is in 2 ohm operation, so make sure your subwoofer creates an 8 ohm load when wired in series. To do this, take the ohm rating of each of your voice coils and add them together. So if you have two 4-ohm voice coils, and you wire them in series, your amp sees an 8 ohm load (4 + 4), which is good. When you connect this to a bridged 2 channel amp running at 2 ohms, your amp will see a 4 ohm load. If it's confusing, just do as i say

If you wire a dvc 4 ohm sub to a bridged 2 channel amp in paralell, the amp will see a 1 ohm load and over heat. Don't do that.

Hope this was helpful, if you have any further questions, get me on aim @ XxChubszxX.

Also, I design and fabricate custom subwoofer enclosures that will perfectly match the acoustics properties of your JL W6 V2. If you're interested, let me know. The box is just as crucial as the sub!

Old 03-27-2008, 05:01 AM

Mr. B that doesnt sound right because i went to a pro shop and had them give me the wiring setup for his exact system.

Quick Reply: Sub Help ?!?!?!?