Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

sub box help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 04:08 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by sentis77
with all due respect, if the amp is tuned right: 80 hz

-turn amp all the way down
-turn radio up 3/4 of the way or until it starts distorting- bass at 0
-turn amp up until subs start distorting, then turn down a notch or two depending on comfort level (i prefer two)
-amp is now tuned. you can crank your radio, just don't mess with the bass on the deck unless you're turning it down. the amp won't hurt the subs. and if it's a bigger amp, it won't be over worked.

am i wrong on this?
hey we kinda agree! altho thats just an online way of telling somebody how in order to actually tune it you'd have to be there

Old 10-16-2009, 06:32 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by madmdx
my brothers old subs in their box... probably the loudest monsters i have ever heard, and very accurate as well.

i dont remember which amp he had tho...
either way the subs burnt lol, the box was open but unfortunatly his e46's trunk was airtight >< damn you bmw and your airtight cars

from experience, dont get an amp more powerful than your subs. trust me, one day you will crank it high and youll regret lol.
That is bad advice.....Sending a sub a clipped signal is worse than sending it too much power

Old 10-16-2009, 09:00 PM
HCF Member

I have to agree with the logic of having an amp with more capasity than the sub/subs. The whole point of an amplifier is to allow more power to be sent to the speakers prior to distortion(louder yet with clarity). All amps will distort at their max. Therefore if you want to run 500 watts of subs, why put a 500 watt amp on them? At the amps full potential(gain cranked like most bass heads do) of 500 it will be distorted. If you run an 800-1000 watt amp only at half its potential it is still within a range that isn't sending out distortion yet supplying the sub/subs with all the power they want. The amps will run cooler this way too.

Just my 2cents

Old 10-17-2009, 05:52 AM
HCF Member

^whoa another guy from mi that so far seems to know car audio!

Clipping= BAD

Old 10-17-2009, 06:45 AM
HCF Member

To everyone who likes to run their overpowering amplifiers with the gains down, I have a question for you. Do you know what will happen if the signal is clipped somewhere in the chain before it reaches the amplifier?

Old 10-17-2009, 04:06 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by gunz4me
To everyone who likes to run their overpowering amplifiers with the gains down, I have a question for you. Do you know what will happen if the signal is clipped somewhere in the chain before it reaches the amplifier?
^^BLOWN WOOFERS^^ is what happens.

To those who are stupid enough to listen to overly distorted music for long periods of time, you should plan on being in your local audio shop every week for warranty repairs or the purchase of new subs.

Clipping, for those who don't know, is when the A/C signal being sent from your head-unit reaches distortion and is turned into D/C. D/C + subs= smoked equiptment. If you can't tell that you are listening to sloppy, wiffy garbage coming from your low end, then you aren't really listening to the music are you?

If your head unit can max out at say, Volume Level 40, (no matter what your line output voltage is)then you can bet that by about 32-34 you will be clipping the signal. Even if properly set, really getting into a song and turning it up past where you told yourself to stop, won't blow the subs automatically. They can handle maybe 15% clipped signal for a short period. (if you aren't running crap equiptment to start with)

The only way to truely find out where your signal starts to clip is with an oscilloscope. Not to many people have one laying around so you have to use your ears. Just listen. If you have good equiptment and it sounds like crap, turn it down!!

A PROPERLY installed and tweeked system makes all the difference.

Knowledge is power. Spread it!!