Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

sub box help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 01:57 PM

you're correct. but, i throw in hip hop occassionally just to show people what 10s sealed can really do. people have always been impressed with ported enclosures, regardless the size of speaker. that itself is just physics. i'm just a fan of sealed for my applications. but for general spl purposes, ported is always the way to go. i follow the equation of having a much bigger amp than what i really need. example: t4000.1 running two t1 10s in sealed boxes. friggin loud.....

Old 10-10-2009, 05:29 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by sentis77
t4000.1 running two t1 10s in sealed boxes. friggin loud.....
friggin stupid. running a t1 10 with well over 3 times its rms in a sealed box so you can't smell the coil when its getting toasty, and yes in a sealed box it will get toasty because the air has nowhere to go.
a much bigger amp than what i really need.
exactly

Old 10-11-2009, 05:01 PM

well before you try and judge, running an amp that size does a couple of things. first off, running an amp that large allows me to leave it all the way down (maybe up a smidge) and still get ample power out of it. unlike most people who have their amps all the way up, mine runs cool and efficient. secondly, running the subs in a sealed enclosure allows me to give them "more" power than i would be able to in a ported box. everyone knows, ported enclosures take "less" power to make them sound loud. sealed boxes can handle more power. so...... i was able to run my speakers at their real rms power with out working the amp hard. even those two 10s sealed were incredibly loud for 10s. and.... as long as you tune the amp properly, they won't burn up. i'm still running mine today and bought them over 3 years ago.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:21 PM
Sir Banned-a-lot

well before you try and judge, running an amp that size does a couple of things. first off, running an amp that large allows me to leave it all the way down (maybe up a smidge) and still get ample power out of it. unlike most people who have their amps all the way up, mine runs cool and efficient.

WIN! haha ur amp will last longer too.

Old 10-12-2009, 11:05 AM
HCF Member

well before you try and judge, running an amp that size does a couple of things. first off, running an amp that large allows me to leave it all the way down (maybe up a smidge) and still get ample power out of it. unlike most people who have their amps all the way up, mine runs cool and efficient. secondly, running the subs in a sealed enclosure allows me to give them "more" power than i would be able to in a ported box. everyone knows, ported enclosures take "less" power to make them sound loud. sealed boxes can handle more power. so...... i was able to run my speakers at their real rms power with out working the amp hard. even those two 10s sealed were incredibly loud for 10s. and.... as long as you tune the amp properly, they won't burn up. i'm still running mine today and bought them over 3 years ago.
Wait.....so you're saying you have them in a sealed enclosure so you can feed them more power and have the amp not work as hard? If you're going for volume (not saying you are), then wouldn't you want them to be as loud as possible off as little wattage as possible? Your logic makes no sense

And I'm not quite sure you understand how a ported box works.....

Old 10-12-2009, 06:10 PM
HCF Member

running the subs in a sealed enclosure allows me to give them "more" power than i would be able to in a ported box. everyone knows, ported enclosures take "less" power to make them sound loud. sealed boxes can handle more power. so...... i was able to run my speakers at their real rms power with out working the amp hard....
...as long as you tune the amp properly, they won't burn up.
So why use more power than needed? The only reason for more power is more noise, and ported boxes don't just sound louder they are louder. Spl numbers speak. Sealed boxes just make it harder for the cone to reach x-max, that only means that you are not being efficient therefore making the amp work harder. The actual coil power handling of the sub is going to be more in a ported box because of the airflow.

Originally Posted by Superfly
Wait.....so you're saying you have them in a sealed enclosure so you can feed them more power and have the amp not work as hard? If you're going for volume (not saying you are), then wouldn't you want them to be as loud as possible off as little wattage as possible? Your logic makes no sense

And I'm not quite sure you understand how a ported box works.....
thank you

Old 10-13-2009, 11:34 AM

i have the same speakers but have 12 inch and have them in a sealed box and they sound good. but i will be getting kennwood when i get the money.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:08 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Jordan1999
i have the same speakers but have 12 inch and have them in a sealed box and they sound good. but i will be getting kennwood when i get the money.
Such a bad idea....i beg you, trust me. If you're going for SQ, get a Fi Q or SSD, Image Dynamics IDQ.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:57 AM

my brothers old subs in their box... probably the loudest monsters i have ever heard, and very accurate as well.

i dont remember which amp he had tho...
either way the subs burnt lol, the box was open but unfortunatly his e46's trunk was airtight >< damn you bmw and your airtight cars

from experience, dont get an amp more powerful than your subs. trust me, one day you will crank it high and youll regret lol.

Attached Thumbnails sub box help!!!-subs.jpg  
Old 10-16-2009, 10:38 AM

with all due respect, if the amp is tuned right: 80 hz

-turn amp all the way down
-turn radio up 3/4 of the way or until it starts distorting- bass at 0
-turn amp up until subs start distorting, then turn down a notch or two depending on comfort level (i prefer two)
-amp is now tuned. you can crank your radio, just don't mess with the bass on the deck unless you're turning it down. the amp won't hurt the subs. and if it's a bigger amp, it won't be over worked.

am i wrong on this?

Quick Reply: sub box help!!!