Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Sub and Amp Question, Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 06:26 PM
Default RE: Sub and Amp Question, Help

Thanks for ur help i'll look into it and im comin 2 u imshirazy for audio questions if u don't mine cuz u kno ur stuff.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:14 AM

i think im goin with a 12" Fi Q https://ssl.perfora.net/www.ficaraud...iew.shopscript
Should i get the dual 1 or 2 ohm cuz i haven't decided what type of amp 2 get yet and im still reading up on them.

Old 03-07-2008, 02:47 PM
HCF Member

Well put it this way
It's been argued that 1 ohm sub setups will get a lot louder because the amplifier can be run at it's best efficiency, but at the same time the sub will have much less control, may heat more easily etc
At this point it depends on the amplifier you have
for example, my autotek amplifier runs 420 watts RMS for a sub, but only at 2 ohms
at 4 ohms it runs I think 250
If I hooked up 1 ohm to it, it would fry, heat up a lot, etc.

For amps, I really suggest hifonics if you're on a budget
hifonics amplifiers are undoubtedly the best bang for the buck out there, just make sure that when you get an amplifier for a sub, you get a monoblock (AND CLASS D) amplifier, do not get a class a/b amp for a sub
Hifonics may not be top of the line quality, but they are still very good, and put out a lot of true rated power
Autotek is also a great company
if you want to start going for more underground and really hi-tec equipment for amps too, there's companies like ppi that are astounding, but I don't suggest it because they come with a very hefty price tag

Therefore for your sub, it is up to you if you want 1 or 2 ohm, but remember that it is dual
this means that it will come with TWO voice coils that run at either 1 or 2 ohm
From here, lets say you got a 1 ohm 12 inch Fi Q
It will come shipped, and two voice coils will both be 1 ohm
from here you have three options, only attach 1 voice coil to get a 1 ohm load (not recommended by me), parallel wire them to get .5 ohms (not recommended because very very very few amps can go this low), or series wire it which will get you 2 ohms (series simply adds all the ohms together)
If you wanted to get TWO of them, then you can parallel wire both subs inside of the box. Then, outside of the box, series wire them which will add both .5 ohms together to get 1 ohm.
Therefore, I would not suggest dual voice coil 1 ohm subs unless you plan to get two
Since you seem to be getting just 1, I suggest going for the 2 ohm, CONSIDERING you get an amp that takes 1 ohm

so after you get your monoblock amplifier, check to see what ohms it can go down to

1 ohm amp = 2 subs with 1 ohm impedence (parallel + series wiring)
1 ohm amp = 1 sub with 2 ohm impedence (parallel wired)
2 ohm amp = 1 sub with 1 ohm impedence (series wired)
2 ohm amp = 2 subs with either 1 or 2 ohm impedence (at this point, wiring will vary)

1 ohm amps will put out more power than an equal lined 2 ohm amp, so if you want, try to go for a 1 ohm amplifier

As for the Fi Q, once again good choice
So let me know exactly what amp you will be looking for, if you have any other questions, etc, I'll be happy to help
if it takes me a while to respond, hit me up on AIM, or I'm usually on my forum 24/7 almost lol

Old 03-07-2008, 03:14 PM

Im either going with the q or the bl thatsdual 2 ohm with a hifonics titan amp thats rated 1000 watts@ 1ohm. Going with a pioneer, alpine, or maybe a blapunkt head unit and haven't even started with speakers maybe blapunkt because i can get them cheap atmy local shop when he needs the money. how does what i have so far sound?

Old 03-07-2008, 04:55 PM
HCF Member

hifonics titan and the sub sound good
For head unit, really just depends what you want
Pioneer's are dumbed down, but are still really good head units, but they use flashy colors and graphics to make themselves look cool, so I personally believe they are not up to par on alpine for head units, but not enough of a difference for it to matter anyway
speakers also depends solely on you, but i suggest getting a speaker with a solid cone
look into pioneer's new "rock beats paper" speakers

Old 03-08-2008, 02:53 PM

I've had some head units in the past that would skip when i turned it up.(SoundStorm) Why does it do that and if iget an alpinecd playerwould it skip? In case u don't kno what I'm goin to runis an alpine or pioneer hu with pioneer speakers "rock beatspaper" 5 1/4 off the hu for now and a 12" FI Q DVC 1000 watt @ 2ohmwith a Hifonics Titan 1000 watt @ 1 ohm.
This is the hu im lookin at nice and simple http://sonicelectronix.com/item_8967...+CDE-9873.html

Old 03-09-2008, 07:56 AM
HCF Member

That HU is fine, i'd personally upgrade the HU to maybe a higher model but it's up to you
Otherwise, setup sounds great
it's almost the exact setup i want in fact lol
but im stuck with my alpines :/

Old 03-09-2008, 08:32 AM

This summer when i get this setup i'll tell u how it sounds. Thanks for the help.

Old 03-09-2008, 02:40 PM
HCF Member

good luck