Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Sub and Amp Question, Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 12:25 PM
Default Sub and Amp Question, Help

I have two 10" kicker comp's they're the older model thats black and orange. I dont know the specs on them but i would guess that they r 200 watt rms not sure i bought them used. I want to add a 1000 watt Alpine type X to my system. Do I need to run a large amp like a 1500 watt or a 1000 watt for the Alpine and a 500 for the Kickers? I need help still dont understand the ohms and stuff real well.
Here's the specs for he Type X http://sonicelectronix.com/item_9265...SWX-1243D.html

Old 03-01-2008, 08:52 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Sub and Amp Question, Help

yea you do the type x needs alot of power. get the biggest amp you can find

Old 03-01-2008, 09:03 AM
HCF Member

DON'T run the Kicker Comps with the Type X. Why mix an entry-levelloud woofer with a classy, smooth low-end monster of a SQ subwoofer? Ditch the Comps!

T

Old 03-01-2008, 05:29 PM

Thanks guys i'll sell the comp 2 help pay for the amp. A 1500 watt amp should be enough, right?

Old 03-02-2008, 02:54 PM
HCF Member

big amp oh yea.....

Old 03-03-2008, 01:22 PM
HCF Member

1500 WHAT amp?!?!?!
I'm sorry but with that kind of a response you don't really deserve a type X
for one, most people don't seem to understand that you will get a lot more volume out of an SPL sub than a type X rated at the same RMS watts
you haven't even stated if your "1500" is RMS or peak
even so, wouldn't it be obvious to get an amp with 1000 rms watts just like the type Xs 1000 watts RMS?
did you look at the type X sensitivity rating? it was 81 on the original, the only real change in the new type X is they make the cone lighter so it could put out more power, and what did it come to? A whopping 82 decibels, 1 decibel increase! Oh boy!
Stop and think to yourself WHY you'd be getting a type X, is it because it's the top of the line alpine so it must be good? If so, then don't
do your research, tell us what you want in a system before just blowing 400 dollars on a sub
Also, the difference in sound for a type R and type X is minimal, yet the type X is a lot more quiet, but hits lows fairly well. If you even look at the specs of the sub, it's designed for a sealed enclosure.
I put two type Es in my car hooked to the SAME amp AND levels as my type X, what was the difference? Huge boom compared to the type X, was there a difference in quality? I'd say not enough to be worth the 2-300 dollar difference.

edit: Also, for those who may choose to argue my points, the type X was also designed for competition, not really a street sub. It puts out great quality with the right equipment and especially the box. It was designed with quality in mind, why do you think it has such a heavy cone and one of the worst sensitivities of any sub ever on the market?

Old 03-05-2008, 05:31 PM

well imshirazy that y i was askin questions because i dont really understand everything yet. the best system i've had was from from wal-mart. I just assumed the more watts the harder they hit. I just want a system that hits pretty hard but still has a good sql. So imshirazy u sound like an expert so what would u suggest getting for what i want to dofor asystem.

Old 03-05-2008, 06:51 PM

if i was you id spend some money on a audiobahn sub and just a good amp to power it...they last forever and pound for pound they can stand up to any sub out there....go with the flame Q, its the best for the buck.....has great sound and hits really low and looks amazing....i had one 15 in a honda passport and it hit so hard it broke my rear hatch, and flexed my roof!!!....powering it was a cheap power accustic 900 watt amp...peak watts on the sub was 2000!!! ive owned about every sub out there and this would be my choice.

Old 03-06-2008, 02:52 PM

whats everybodies experience with Alpine type R i heard they were pretty good 4 the price.

Old 03-06-2008, 05:46 PM
HCF Member

Sorry for bein an *** logand
I get out of hand sometimes :/
but um, type Rs are fairly good
if you really do want some top of the line stuff, that will outperform your friends, get disgustingly loud, and retain quality, look into a brand called fi
It will be very difficult to find these products but that's what makes it fun
you will find videos of them easily, but the product themself, eh a bit harder
fi is one of those underground, rarely known sub companies, but they are so diverse they allow you to customize your own sub
they are very strong, very efficient for their power and weight etc
alpine is just a mainstream sub, go with something unique in my opinion
boston subs, pegasus, dynadio, dd audio, these are the type of subs that if you get, you will impress others with the sound, and impress audio experts by letting them know you picked up something worth the money and time
If you can afford look into fi subwoofers
https://ssl.perfora.net/www.ficaraud...dex.shopscript

Quick Reply: Sub and Amp Question, Help