Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

sub\amp help

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 10:57 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: sub\amp help

alright so you want a good set of subs for your car but don't want to spen too much for them. Already you got a pretty decent amp, so why don't you stick to the same name brand subs jus like your amp.two 12" sonyxplod subs are fairly cheap, you can get them fromwalmart forboth i believe jusunder 300 bucks. Now keep in mind with all new subs you have to allow them to break in. So the next pair of subs you get keep the volume on them below half for about a week or two. NEVERput them at full potential immediatly, the materails need to break in. Good Luck!! i'lltry find the exact cost for you on thise subs.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:09 AM
HCF Member

Found them, 68 bucks a piece.
http://www.walmart.com/search/browse...500.4294296139

Old 05-09-2008, 04:00 AM
HCF Member

Actually, rarely is it in the best interest to stick with the same company set up throughout your car.
Alpine makes the best head units, doesn't mean they have the best speakers, JL makes great subs, not necessarily great speakers, etc.

Also, some subwoofers don't need a break in period, and the only thing that really "breaks in" is the subwoofer spider.

Old 05-09-2008, 05:15 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: imshirazy

Actually, rarely is it in the best interest to stick with the same company set up throughout your car.
Alpine makes the best head units, doesn't mean they have the best speakers, JL makes great subs, not necessarily great speakers, etc.

Also, some subwoofers don't need a break in period, and the only thing that really "breaks in" is the subwoofer spider.
Keep in mind everybody has a different opinion when it comes to car audio and what brands to go with and what not. I'm not going to disagree with you, it's your own opinion. Now i've been to many car audio stores and asked them about the whole "break in" thing for subs, and every single one of them said the same thing. "If you bought something brand new, would you push it to its max right off the bat?" of course i said, "no." So basically they said to be on the safe side, allow the subs to break in for about a week just under half volume. And you're right, there are some companies that claim their subs don't need a break in period, but i would on the safe side (in my opinion..lol)

Old 05-09-2008, 08:59 AM
HCF Member

I will admit I'm not 100% sure why some subwoofers don't require break in, but from what I have gathered so far is that the spiders are stretched and shrunk repeatedly in the factory, therefore they don't need to be broken in because they technically already have been.
Yeah I mean everyone does have a different opinion on brands etc but, what are the chances that a company who owns stereos/equalizers/amplifiers/speakers/subwoofers/enclosures will have all their products be the best short of a revolutionary new method of building they have achieved you know?
I mean I agree with you in that it should be opinion, but if someone has all the same brand in their car, they probably didn't do much research or listen to many other options

Old 05-09-2008, 09:42 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: imshirazy

I will admit I'm not 100% sure why some subwoofers don't require break in, but from what I have gathered so far is that the spiders are stretched and shrunk repeatedly in the factory, therefore they don't need to be broken in because they technically already have been.
Yeah I mean everyone does have a different opinion on brands etc but, what are the chances that a company who owns stereos/equalizers/amplifiers/speakers/subwoofers/enclosures will have all their products be the best short of a revolutionary new method of building they have achieved you know?
I mean I agree with you in that it should be opinion, but if someone has all the same brand in their car, they probably didn't do much research or listen to many other options
I'll admit, i don't have all the same brand in my car. Two 12" premiers, premier deck with bluetooth, and 1200watt Sony amp. I did have a rockford fosgate amp, but it **** the bed on me after 5 good years of use. Oh well, jus bought a sony amp for now, i plan on getting a memphis amp. by this summer.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:49 AM
HCF Member

I thought about getting some JLs the other day. I am just wondering which ones (or one) would be alright to work with my amp right now. Later on, when I have more money Im going to replace all of my speakers and HU. I know a guy who has some Rockford 12"s, the older ones, not new, Ill try and get some specs on them.

Thanks for the help.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:12 AM
HCF Member

I don't know JL that well, so i can't really help you there, don't forget kicker subs too, and there inexpensive. Shop around, get some ideas, read up a lil bit on car audio and then decide. That's your best bet.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:27 AM
HCF Member

Also, I read somewhere that the Sony subs suck, but the black ones arent that bad. anyone have/had them on here? I may buy 2 and put them in my box and try them, if I dont like them I can take them back to Wal Mart.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:42 AM
HCF Member

My friend has the 12" ones in his car right now, and he loves them alot. To be honest, they sound pretty damn good!! Give them a shot, you might like them.

Quick Reply: sub\amp help