Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

sub\amp help

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 06:35 PM
HCF Member
Default sub\amp help

Today I got 2 Visonik 12"s in a ported box for 40 bucks. The subs are cheap I know, but the box is very nice.

Any way, I have a 1000 watt sony xplod amp and the subs were bridged to it. The speakers both blew about half way up. The subs are Visonik V12D4's 4 voice coil I think and and 300rps 600 watt max. I'm pretty sure these are the specs. I googled it earlier but am not exactly sure. Can somebody help me out by posting the specs? I'm on a blackberry and it"d take forever.

I had two pioneer 10"s hooked up to the same amp and they are fine. They are like 250rps and 500watt max. The amp is a 1/2 channel.

My question is how come the 12s blew and the 10s don't? I don't understand it.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:42 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: sub\amp help

4 ohm, 2 ohm what?

Old 05-07-2008, 05:59 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Yeah the watts actually delivered depends on the impedance setup.

Of course you still have to be careful not to turn it up too far or anything can blow. Since you learned that with the first set.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:00 AM
HCF Member

A ported enclosure also let's the woofer go a bit on the "wild side" So having the amp tuned improperly can add to the early demise of any sub.
crossover point, gain setting, bass boost, etc.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:16 PM
HCF Member

The visoniks are 4ohm. I'm thinking that the pioneer 10s are dual vioce coil. Is voice coil and ohms the same thing? I'm just trying to find some good 12"s that will work with my xplod amp.

The amp is
185W*2 (4 ohms)
Max power output 1000W (2 ohms)

Old 05-07-2008, 08:35 PM
HCF Member

you cant cheap on audio, i mean 40 bucks for 2 twelves??? what do you expect...never heard of that brand. Look dont cheap out ur not going to get good stuff if you only spend 40 bucks. I'm not trying to hate but 12s dont really mean your gunna have a good setup. If you spend a good amount on one 10 you will be surprised how well it sounds with some good speakers in the car. Even if you have 2 kicker l7's or something like that and you dont have good speakers your car is going to sound like crap, just trying to help....i dont know much about the watt stuff and all that but you need to spend like 500 bucks if you want something decent.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:29 PM
HCF Member

if you want cheap subs that do a decent job check out pyramid superblue 12's (if they still make them), and any mtx sub. im not a fan of either but i have a friend who has 2 pyramid super blue 12's and has been pounding the hell out of them for 6yrs. my sister has 2 mtx thunder that she's had for 4 yrs. i spent a little more on mine. i have 2 TREO Engineering SSI 12's that ive had for almost 7yrs that still slam. i think i spent $180 ea. on my subs, and when i got them that was a deal.

i just did a quick search on ebay and found a few things that if i were in your situation i would buy. they are decent subs on the cheap.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-AUDIOBAHN-AWC1...QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-New...spagenameZWDVW
http://cgi.ebay.com/Polk-Audio-MM212...2em118Q2el1247
http://cgi.ebay.com/KICKER-S12L5-12-...QQcmdZViewItem

i have an audiobahn 12 that i dont use anymore but its not because i dont like it, its because i only have 1 car that has a system in it. i had it alone in my 89 camaro and it was so loud i couldnt hear anything outside the car.
the polks are a little more expensive but well worth the money. i would recomend these to anyone.
the kicker L5 is the most expensive of the group but you will only need 1. 2 is nice but in a car that small 2 would be overkill. my roommate has 1 of these in a ported box in his 91 dx and it leaves your ears ringing when you get out.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:26 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: croninc

you cant cheap on audio, i mean 40 bucks for 2 twelves??? what do you expect...never heard of that brand. Look dont cheap out ur not going to get good stuff if you only spend 40 bucks. I'm not trying to hate but 12s dont really mean your gunna have a good setup. If you spend a good amount on one 10 you will be surprised how well it sounds with some good speakers in the car. Even if you have 2 kicker l7's or something like that and you dont have good speakers your car is going to sound like crap, just trying to help....i dont know much about the watt stuff and all that but you need to spend like 500 bucks if you want something decent.
That makes no sense. If I dont spend $500, it wont sound good?

Ive got good speakers. I just want some good bump for a low price. I dont need top of the line stuff, thats why I got new Pioneer speakers and HU. Im looking for some decent priced audio that beats hard.

And I know all the stuff you guys say, "you cant cheap out on audio, performance parts blah blah" I know, so you dont have to post that here.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:45 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Dual voice coil subs can be wired for different ohms depending on how you interconnect the two coils. You will need to open the box and see how they are set up. Match them to the lowest ohms that your amp is rated to handle to get the most power.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:48 AM
HCF Member

There were some good points made above. Please make sure that the next speakers you buy are put in the proper sized box. A vented or ported will be louder and will allow the speakers to "extrude" more then a sealed (hence why louder, moving more air easier). However a sealed box will give you a little cleaner bass. Anyways, voice coils and ohms are not the same thing but they do coincide with one another when making a selection. An ohm is the resistance of the current the speaker can handle. One is not any better then the other, it just allows you to set your system up differently. Generally if you have a dual voice coil (DVC) sub and it lists its a 4ohm sub (its going to be 2 ohms per coil). You mentioned that your amp is 185x2 at 4ohms and 1000watts max at 2? I am not sure what amp you have but it sounds like you are saying that it is 185 RMS or continuous at 4ohms? that is hugely different then max. Your max wattage is what your amp is capable of in an instance not all day long. This is very important to understand. Why? If your speakers are rated or need more power then your amp is capable of they will put additional stress on the amp. This can cause 2 major problems. One, you could fry your amp. Secondly, you might be turning your amp up and it will start to "clip" that is when the amp is being pushed beyond its limits. This clipping will come out of the speakers as distorsion (many people think their speakers are distorting when its actually the amp crying for help) and will result in blowing your speakers. Thirdly, you can find good speakers at a reasonable price but you are going to have to look a little harder then finding not as good speakers at a reasonable price. I am not sure of your budget so I am going to give you some blind suggestions. JL audio w1's and mtx thunder 4500's are very good speakers for the money. If I remember right the w1's go for about $130 a piece and similar to the mtx. Are there better speakers? Of course there are however for the money from the speakers I have listened to and the experience I have had with, these are pretty viable options if they are within your budget and would fare well with your amp.

Quick Reply: sub\amp help