Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

STUPID!! STUPID!! STUPID!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 11:14 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: STUPID!! STUPID!! STUPID!!!!!!!!

They say I just blew a fuse. First and last time too. I wanted to install my own amp but I guess that's not going to happen.

Old 02-08-2008, 03:11 PM
HCF Member

OK..so my man instincts are telling me to give it a try again LOL. I'm going to disconnect my battery terminals this time..and then do it in the morning.. any other precautions? I just want to connect the amp because my old one is dead..

Old 02-08-2008, 04:03 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ok to prevent blowing fuses again.... get a 12volt test light. cheap at any autoparts store, walmart even sells them. and this time remove the inline fuse next to the battery and this time DRAIN the amplifiers capacitors by simply using the 12volt light testers steel spike end to the OUTPUT fuse without the fuse in it of course, then use the other end of the light testers aligator clip part and touch it to the negative battery post.....

the light tester should power the light ON and dim out depending on how large your amplifier is of course. and once the light testers bulb is no longer powered the amplifier is completely drained.

NOW after you have everything hooked up on the amplifier or what not again BUT NOT THE FRONT INLINE FUSE!!!!!!!! DO NOT INSTALL IT YET. if you do it will spark and thats not good for the equipment! also not good because in case you have a short this is how you can test.
OK with the fuse still removed use the light tester again and this time simply jump these light tester between the fuse terminals, doesn't mater which way. just the spike end on one terminal, and the aligator clip on the other fuse terminal and again the light testers light should glow and as soon as the light on the tester goes out then your amplifiers internal capacitors are fully charged and your free to just put the fuse back in and your done.

BUT if the test light does not fully do out then you have a short somewhere....
its very common to have a few TINY wire strands not into the terminal all the way and they could be out of the terminal and shorting out on the other wire terminal either it be the ground or power or remote turn on...

and the test light can help you out alot when trying to figure out electrical problems so its a great tool!
i use them all the time myself!

Old 02-08-2008, 05:25 PM
HCF Member

damn..thats a hell of a lot of good *** advice..I appreciatethat..but I think i'll jst leave it to the pro's..dont want to screw up..

Old 02-08-2008, 06:51 PM
HCF Member

If you don't try you will never learn. You just need to do some research and have a general idea of what to do before you start.

Old 02-09-2008, 04:23 AM
HCF Member

I honestly don't get what's so hard
you don't need to disconnect your battery
Take out the 12 V fuse
unplug the power from the amp and all other wires
put new amp in with all the wires
put fuse back in
voila

well I forgot about your cap
yeah undo that too, and decharge it

In all honesty caps just make things far more complicated

or just go by what addiction2bass says

Old 02-09-2008, 06:28 PM
HCF Member

removing the fuse would be a not so good equivalent to disconnecting the battery terminal. You are doing the same thing, removing power from the stuff you are working on so you don't cause a short circuit or electrocute yourself. Really, why be stupid and not disconnect it? It takes30 seconds ffs.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:41 PM
HCF Member

Even removing the fuse is bad because it still sparks

Old 02-09-2008, 08:50 PM
HCF Member

Yeah, I'm not doing anything equivalent to what I messed up with before. The guy at ccity was cool and said he would install it for 30 bucks. So I'll just play it safe?

Old 02-09-2008, 09:22 PM
HCF Member

For real, just play it safe now. But ask if you can go back there and watch him do it. Ask questions about everything, that's how you'll learn.

Quick Reply: STUPID!! STUPID!! STUPID!!!!!!!!