Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Specific question about RCA installation

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 01:40 PM
HCF Member
Default Specific question about RCA installation

So i'm literally installing my sub and amp as we speak and i've encountered a problem... which of these three component ports do i plug the RCA's running to my amp into?!

http://entertainment.webshots.com/ph...94474048uFhwUC

Old 02-28-2008, 02:44 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Specific question about RCA installation

The flying wires labeled "SUB OUT (MONO)" go to the amplifier that drives your sub(s). The designation "MONO" means the exact same signal is present on both plugs. It doesn't matter which one goes to left or right.

Old 02-28-2008, 02:45 PM
HCF Member

sub out mono

Old 02-28-2008, 02:53 PM
HCF Member

No, hang on i wasnt clear enough... that isn't MY picture.. it's just a picture of the back of my headunit i found online.. i do not have the sub mono out wires.... my question is.. i just ran 2 RCA's (left and right, i know it doesn't matter) from my amplifier to the headunit.. do i plug these 2 wires into ... 1. Bus Audio IN 2. Rear Audio OUT 3. Front Audio OUT.. i know it's logical to plug it into REAR AUDIO OUT.. but there is already a cable there for my ipod connection..

Old 02-28-2008, 03:01 PM
HCF Member

So how many amps do you have? Just 1 for the sub and I guess your running the speakers of the internal amp on the head unit? Well then I would just run the sub amp off the 2 front channels since your head unit doesn't have specific sub output channels.

If you have two separate amps with your setup (1 for sub 1 for regular speakers) with only 4 RCA outputs on your headunit (and basically 5 channels) you would have to run all 4 to the regular amp and then run a pair from the regular amp preout to the sub amp input.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:17 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Yes I think the OP is running the 4 speakers direct from the head unit internal amp and hooking up a single amp for subs.

If that's the choice you have, use either front or rear audio out but you really should have a low-pass filter in your sub amp, so the non-bass signals don't go to the subwoofers. There may be a way to configure one of the outputs to be a low-pass filtered sub out but without researching the exact model I wouldn't know (Read your manual again).

Higher end head units have a dedicated sub out like the one in the picture. You may want to replace yours. The head unit you have really wasn't designed to work with subs easily.

The ipod should connect to BUS AUDIO IN or AUX IN (on the front panel), not the output. The signal flows from the ipod INto the head unit, then OUT to the subs.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:44 PM
HCF Member

Yeah low pass probably a good idea. Yeah you probably can't adjust that without messing with the signals on the regular speakers. I've got the pioneer 690UB which is almost the same as the 6900UB. It has 6 channel output (4 for regular speakers and 2 for the subs) and it even has built in low pass filter settings and everything that you can customize. Its' pretty sweet.

Oh and it has a usb port on the back and comes with a long usb extension cord so you can control/listen to your ipod with it and any other jump drive or FAT32 device. It also has an auxillary input on the rear as well. the 6900 normally retails for like $300 but you can get it on online car stereo for like $200.

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=18326

Yeah I have this for my aftermarket alpine type r speaker/sub system and its awesome especially with all the audio settings. My friend also has it in his jeep (no external amps) and it works great.