Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Speakers wont fit in 99 Civic LX

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 11:43 AM
HCF Member

Ok, so I'm feeling particularly stupid right now. I borrowed a dremel from my work and started sawing and shaving the driver side door panel and still couldn't get this thing in. I had a feeling I was going to break something and weighed out the cost of having to buy new door panels vs. just getting them installed. I called the local chain car stereo store and they told me it'd be $60 over the phone. I just wanted my damn door panels back on... between rattling and non-functionality, I was prepared to just pay to have it put in. They said they have spacers and all kinds of tricks so I said what the hell. I drove in with my door panels and my speakers. They told me instead it'd be $135 and that normally component installs are $180 but since I already installed the tweeters, they'd cut me a break. My break turned out to be more than they said over the phone, but whatever. I paid it. They said it'd be quick. I waltzed around the store for a little over 3 hours. I couldn't leave because it began dumping rain. Anyways, so I'm sitting here at lunch and I notice that the factory grill wasn't completely pushed in. I got a little curious and decided to take apart one door just to see how much rain has entered, and if the crossover and woofer were at risk. Besides, I figured the dremeling is all done, I could easily put it back together.

Here's a pic or two:

Name:  IMAGE_001.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  35.1 KB

Name:  IMAGE_002.jpg
Views: 607
Size:  43.9 KB

As you can see, they left the cover off the crossover, I believe to make this thing fit. I'm not sure if this is a stupid idea, as the cover may help keep water out? I'm unsure. As for the speaker woofer itself, definitely exposed to rain. I pulled the cone out and it was a little damp. That said, the woofer is marine rated aparently, though I have no clue if that means I should still do my best to protect it from the elements.

At this point I'm feeling like a major jackass, having spent a good chunk of change for something that I originally thought I could do on my own, instead to get it installed by someone else in a way that just doesn't seem very... long-term.

Can anyone give some advice? Should I worry about the woofer if it's marine-rated? The speakers are Focal 165A1 if that helps. Should I try to get that crossover cover on and protect it with duct tape or something? Sorry the pics are so crappy, cell phone pics.. Keep in mind, when the woofer is installed, it either directly contacts the metal rail for the window, or comes a molecule away...

Old 05-08-2009, 03:12 PM
HCF Member

I had the same bloody issue with my 6.5" Rockford Fosgate P162's. They were waaaaaay too deep. I ended up sticking some 5.25" Fosgate T152's in there instead. They're quite a bit better, so no harm done. :P

Old 02-09-2021, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by simons81
Ok, so I'm feeling particularly stupid right now. I borrowed a dremel from my work and started sawing and shaving the driver side door panel and still couldn't get this thing in. I had a feeling I was going to break something and weighed out the cost of having to buy new door panels vs. just getting them installed. I called the local chain car stereo store and they told me it'd be $60 over the phone. I just wanted my damn door panels back on... between rattling and non-functionality, I was prepared to just pay to have it put in. They said they have spacers and all kinds of tricks so I said what the hell. I drove in with my door panels and my speakers. They told me instead it'd be $135 and that normally component installs are $180 but since I already installed the tweeters, they'd cut me a break. My break turned out to be more than they said over the phone, but whatever. I paid it. They said it'd be quick. I waltzed around the store for a little over 3 hours. I couldn't leave because it began dumping rain. Anyways, so I'm sitting here at lunch and I notice that the factory grill wasn't completely pushed in. I got a little curious and decided to take apart one door just to see how much rain has entered, and if the crossover and woofer were at risk. Besides, I figured the dremeling is all done, I could easily put it back together.

Here's a pic or two:

Attachment 20537

Attachment 20538

As you can see, they left the cover off the crossover, I believe to make this thing fit. I'm not sure if this is a stupid idea, as the cover may help keep water out? I'm unsure. As for the speaker woofer itself, definitely exposed to rain. I pulled the cone out and it was a little damp. That said, the woofer is marine rated aparently, though I have no clue if that means I should still do my best to protect it from the elements.

At this point I'm feeling like a major jackass, having spent a good chunk of change for something that I originally thought I could do on my own, instead to get it installed by someone else in a way that just doesn't seem very... long-term.

Can anyone give some advice? Should I worry about the woofer if it's marine-rated? The speakers are Focal 165A1 if that helps. Should I try to get that crossover cover on and protect it with duct tape or something? Sorry the pics are so crappy, cell phone pics.. Keep in mind, when the woofer is installed, it either directly contacts the metal rail for the window, or comes a molecule away...
hi, planning to purchase focal 165as for my civic 96 hatchback. Any update or suggestions? Thanks