Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Speakers wont fit in 99 Civic LX

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 01:57 PM
HCF Member
Default Speakers wont fit in 99 Civic LX

Hey there. After spending all weekend running wires and dynamatting and all sorts of fun ****, I'm discovering that my speakers won't fit. My car (99 Civic LX) supposedly supports 6.5" fronts, which is what I bought (Focal 165A1). I realize that they are a little deep, so I cut the back off, but the speaker literally won't fit the opening... It's as if my car had 6.26", not 6.5"... Can anyone offer advice?

Old 04-26-2009, 02:11 PM
HCF Member

the only thing i could tell you is just to make sure that you have as much of the door panel cut out as possible. If it is as small of an amount as you are saying, then just get a rounded file and file the door panel down until the speaker fits.

Old 04-26-2009, 02:31 PM
HCF Member

Cool, guess I'll modify the **** outa the door to get it to fit. I just thought it was odd. The stock speakers were secured with three screws, but when I line up the speaker with the holes, the are way off. I'll have to do my own screws and whatnot. I guess that's normal?

Old 04-26-2009, 02:35 PM
HCF Member

Yep that's normal. Haha compare the stock speaker cones and magnets to the Focals lol!

Hey tell me how those sound!! I looking to get a pair of comps and those are on my list to look at

Old 04-26-2009, 02:57 PM
HCF Member

You can get a spacer that screws into the original holes and sets the speaker out about a 1/4 inch.

Old 04-26-2009, 03:18 PM
HCF Member

or you could make one out of MDF. or any wood....or I see people use some type of clay,

Old 04-26-2009, 03:51 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by simons81
Cool, guess I'll modify the **** outa the door to get it to fit. I just thought it was odd. The stock speakers were secured with three screws, but when I line up the speaker with the holes, the are way off. I'll have to do my own screws and whatnot. I guess that's normal?
yes that is normal. you will definitely have to make your own screw holes. especially with focals, thay have a bigger magnet and basket than most speakers so it will take a little more cutting to get them to fit.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:08 PM
HCF Member

In regards to the spacer, I would need more than a 1/4" to get this thing in there. I cut away the plastic in the back, but realized that the hole is too small to even place the speaker in to mount. You guys recommend a dremel tool or what? I wish I hadn't cut big holes and put the tweeters in first.. this is definitely bogus as hell. Well, maybe it'll pay off. The depth is like 2.85"... you think that'll impede on any of the window mechanism?

Old 04-27-2009, 10:51 AM
HCF Member

I'm debating whether or not I should be cutting my speaker, or the plastic on my door. They both have pros and cons and while I'm slightly handy, I'm not very experienced with cutting plastic or metal. If I dremel the plastic opening on the door, while I only need an extra hair of clearance, it looks like I might damage the structure of the plastic housing. I only need an extra millimeter or two, but that's about all it'll take to make the speaker housing sorta wobbly. On the flipside, I wouldn't have the slightest clue on filing down the ring of the speaker... not very experienced with shaving metal, especially on something fragile like a speaker. Anyone have any advice on which avenue I should proceed, and which tools I'd want to use?

Thanks

Old 04-27-2009, 12:30 PM
HCF Member

How about some pics? Of what you've cut and maybe some of the speaker in the door to see what isn't lining up

Quick Reply: Speakers wont fit in 99 Civic LX