Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 10:01 PM
Default Speakers?

I'm lookingto buy some speakers for my 92' honda civic lx and just wanted see what brand is the best to buy. I'm planning to buy them from crutchfield.com and I was just browsing through and found these sony gt 1625a speakers and wondering if they are any good...I just need some advice. I would love to spend a ton of money on speakers but I can't. I don't want to buy cheapies though. Anyway I also was wondering if any of you would know where exactly the back/rear speakers are located in my car because i have no idea where they are or if I have any. thanks guys =)

Old 03-05-2008, 10:41 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Speakers?

Sony's are okay, i'd take Pioneer or Alpine rather though. Sony's aren't top quality, but they are still nicer than stock for sure.

also i think Crutchfield is pretty expensive, browse around, you'll prolly be able to find a little better prices.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:49 PM

thanks, i sure will!

Old 03-05-2008, 11:47 PM
HCF Member

+1 for Alpine! I have an all alpine system (except head unit which is pioneer) and it sounds great!

But I don't think you could say what is the "best brand." That's like asking what is the best car? However you can narrow it down to better brands vs. the bad or cheaper ones but in the end it all amounts to what sounds the best to you and what your budget is. I would say search for speakers on crutchfield then go to stereo shops or best buy to actually listen to them and compare. Then when you decide what to buy (don't buy from crutchfield or stereo shops) buy from a cheaper site like onlinecarstereo.com

Old 03-06-2008, 07:28 AM
HCF Member

get pioneer or alpine

Old 03-06-2008, 03:45 PM

i like to use sonicelectronix.com they have pretty good deals. I heard some pretty good blaupunkt speakers this week and they run him about $50. Alpine is always a good choice.

Old 03-06-2008, 03:47 PM
HCF Member

I have infinity Kappa's and i think they are awesome
+1 to infinity

Old 03-06-2008, 03:58 PM
HCF Member

honestly, my friend replaced all his OEM Honda speakers in his 96 with Sony XPlod's and they sounded considerably better. There are for sure bettter options, if you're on a super strict budget, they'll sound okay.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:02 PM

I installed Kenwood 6.5's up front and JVC 6.5's in back. I retained my stock AR door tweeters. The new speakers were fairly inexpensive, and they sound reasonably good to me, although I'm really not an audiophile. My catback is so noisy, along with road noise, that I doubt I could appreciate high end speakers in my ride anyways. They seem to do a good job with rock music at least.

All four of my 6.5" EX original Honda AR speakers turned out to have completely dry-rotted and disintegrated surrounds.I hucked those bass-buzzing junkers into the dumpster. I couldn't believe how falling-apart the cones were when I pulled them out.

My car has some kind of JVC deck in it that has issues. It sounds ok, but it seems to have a bad faceplate connection that causes it to turn off and on. To address this, I picked up a nifty new Jensen HD5212 headunit thats going in next, now that the speakers are all done. The Jensen has HD radio, USB input, iPod input, SD Card slot, and an mp3-cd player. I had a previous Jensen cd-mp3 unit and I was really happy with it, so I got their latest and greatest.

Crutchfield link to the HD5212 -> http://www.crutchfield.com/S-LNxqgok...px?i=110HD5212

I think its worth looking at, I tend to use SD cards and mp3s, so I liked that unit for what I wanted. I have it here, ready to install. If you don't care about the SD card slot, then there are some others that have HD, USB, and mp3cd for around the same price.

Btw, always solder all auto stereo connections if you can. A cheap butane soldering iron works great, so does a can of liquid electrical tape stuff. Be sure to get some electronics flux core solder and some rosin flux paste. There's nothing worse than some wire nut cutting out when you hit a bump while your favorite tune is playing -- trust me, been there!

Old 03-09-2008, 06:04 AM
HCF Member

+1 to sonicelectronix.com. I live in Canada and bought my entire setup from them. After shipping (and getting raped at the border with customs fees and taxes), it was still CONSIDERABLY cheaper than if I had bought from Crutchfield Canada.

I got an all-Alpine setup and I am quite happy with it.

Head unit: Alpine CDA-9885
Front 6.5" Components: Alpine SPR-17S (Type R)
Rear 6"x9": Alpine SPR-69C (Type R)
500W 4 Channel Amp: Alpine MRP-F550

I also got the iPod cable (KCE-422i) to take advantage of the head unit's full-speed iPod controls. It's fantastic.

Quick Reply: Speakers?