Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Sound System Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 05:47 PM
HCF Member
Default Sound System Issues

I have a 1996 Honda Civic Dx 2Dr Coupe. I bought the car off a guy who had done some sound system work on it already. He had 16 awg ground and power wires, along with an Alpine head unit. But when I put my 300.1 amp on these wires, my subs barely moved. So the first thing I did was buy 4awg wires and run them through the car. I thought that this would help, but it didn't. When i turn the subs on, you can hear them relatively well inside the car, but can barely hear them outside. All you can hear is the lyrics. So I messed around with the settings on the amp and head unit, but still didn't increase the bass. What can I do to fix this problem?

Old 01-06-2010, 01:35 AM
HCF Member

err... well did i just reply to a very similar post from you?.... well... if i did sorry ha ha.

But outside volume... totally redundant dont you think? and mess with the settings a bit more perhaps. beyond that, mess with the Amp.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:13 AM
HCF Member

Well.. why would you want to be able to hear it from the outside lol.
that would just get you jacked faster.(at least where i live it would... since no garage.)

maybe your civic has door speakers with more tweeters than your other car? so you actually hear more voice than before? (i know mine has 3 voices... and sounds cleaner then just the old cone speakers it had lol)
what kinda car was the system in? maybe the structure of the trunk made it sounds deeper?

Old 01-06-2010, 09:18 AM
HCF Member

Lol you dont WANT to hear the music from the outside of the car.....

And just get a bigger amp/sub.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:39 AM
HCF Member

I just mean that there is not very much bass outside the car.. like it doesn't shake the car like it did the old one..

Old 01-06-2010, 11:41 AM
HCF Member

Thats a good thing..... And what old one? What do you mean?

Old 01-06-2010, 11:58 AM
HCF Member

You mean less rattle?
Are you not happy wit the sound INSIDE the car? or you just want more sound to go OUTSIDE?
are the speakers facing the same way?

Every speaker is gonna sounds different depending where its at.
if you go to Best Buy and try out the speakers they have there... its gonna sound way different once their in your car.

like i said it might be because the trunk is differently?
wat kind of car was the system in?

LOL it seems like you want the opposite of what i want...
I want clean bass and sound INSIDE the car.
and I want... nothing to shake or rattle from the outside.

If you want things to rattle and shake, try loosening up your license place screws and trunk a bit.
LOL JP.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:07 PM
HCF Member

I used to have a 2007 Civic 4Dr. I went to a 96 2Dr coupe. I just want people to hear my bass coming from down the street, like it used to in the old car. Like i could cruise down the street, and people up he street would look back because they heard me coming. I want THAT reaction back!

Old 01-06-2010, 01:39 PM
HCF Member

Then get a bigger amp and speakers!
300 watt is kinda low i think. i would use that for my door speakers. and get a bigger amp to power up the subs

Old 01-06-2010, 02:45 PM
HCF Member

well since you said the old owner new a lot about audio, it's possible it was well sound deadened. also, you might want to check all your grounds, you may not be getting all the power you can. on top of checking grounds , look into doing the big 3 upgrade, it's not expensive, but it's very effective http://www.b20vtec.com/forums/audio-...6-big-3-a.html also, 300.1 isn't too big of an amp, what type of sub are you using (size?)? sorry if it was already mentioned. also, should try 1/0 gauge wires, they're great and if you ever want to upgrade your system, you won't need to upgrade the wires. so basically:

either the car is very well sound deadened -thats a plus
somethings not hooked up right
settings on the hu aren't right
**** amp
bad wires

anyway, good luck

Quick Reply: Sound System Issues