Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Sound System Almost Done!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 05:13 AM
HCF Member

Just gotta drill the subs in and wire everything up, but one question: my subs have a positive, a negative, a positive with a white dot, and a negative with a white dot. Wth do I do with 4 terminals? If I have to run 2 positives and 2 negatives I'm gonna have to go buy more speaker wire

Old 09-16-2008, 06:22 AM
Recognized HCF Member

show me a link to the subs you bought..... if they are dual voice coil you need to have them all hooked up!

if they are dual voice coil subs i would highly sugest that you keep the wire lengths close to the same length.....
you can take a wire to the subwoofers magnet and then cut it there and split it off to a Y to run to each terminal that way the wire is still the same length from voice coil to voice coil.
ive wired subs up like this since i had my 2 REaudio 10s hooked up to one amplifier.... i had them just jumping one sub to the other and the first subwoofer got hotter than the other sub and i mean hotter! i thought it was gonna over heat. took it apart inspected all my wires, switch the input sub around and still the 1st sub that got power still got hotter than the second. so i made all new speaker wires so that the subs both have the same length wire from the amplifier to both subs and after that they both stayed cool. still rocken them in my room right now for my surround speaker system for the last 3 years

Last edited by addiction2bass; 09-16-2008 at 06:27 AM.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:43 PM
HCF Member
Old 09-17-2008, 05:30 AM
Recognized HCF Member

yes its a dual voice coil subwoofer
youll have to wire each sub to 4ohms wiring them in series. meaning wire up ONE of the Negative wires on first voice coil to the Positive on the second voice coil. then wire up the one negative unused voice coil to the amp and vis versa with the other positive. that will make that subwoofer a 4ohm load on it. now by conecting 2 subwoofers wired the same way but this time parrelleling the wires will drop the load to 2ohms for your amplifier. very simple to parrellel the wires. just connect both positives on the amplifier going to the subs and then connect the negatives together on the subs.
o hell it sounds confusing but its really not!
http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/wo...s.asp~Q~2~I~22
its OPTION 2.
pictures always do help

Old 09-18-2008, 12:57 PM

thank for info

Old 09-18-2008, 08:11 PM
HCF Member

Im wiring into a 2 channel amp though. I twisted the ends of the positives together (same for the negatives) shuved the wire into a connector/adaptor, and stuck them on the terminals inside the box. Then I ran each set of positive and negative to seperate channels. Will this cause problems? Or should it be fine?

Old 09-19-2008, 12:08 AM
HCF Member

What kind of 2 channel amp do you have? I thought you had an Exile x1200.1 monoblock?

As for your wiring, did you wire the + to the + and the - to the - on each subwoofer. Example, for the left subwoofer, you wired both positives together, then both negatives together, then ran a wire to the positive and negative terminal cup for the left subwoofer. For the right subwoofer, you basically did the same? In other words, I am asking if each subwoofer is wired like the top diagram in the following link: http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/wo...s.asp?Q=1&I=22.

If so, you are wired at 1 ohm per subwoofer and you better be sure your amp is 1 ohm stable on each channel otherwise expect smoke!

Old 09-19-2008, 06:57 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by gunz4me
What kind of 2 channel amp do you have? I thought you had an Exile x1200.1 monoblock?

As for your wiring, did you wire the + to the + and the - to the - on each subwoofer. Example, for the left subwoofer, you wired both positives together, then both negatives together, then ran a wire to the positive and negative terminal cup for the left subwoofer. For the right subwoofer, you basically did the same? In other words, I am asking if each subwoofer is wired like the top diagram in the following link: http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/wo...s.asp?Q=1&I=22.

If so, you are wired at 1 ohm per subwoofer and you better be sure your amp is 1 ohm stable on each channel otherwise expect smoke!
na man he has 2 subs so they wire together at 2ohms if wired properly.
if he screws up and wires them all parrellel he will have them wired at 0.5ohms.lol surely to kick the amplifier off.LOL

Old 09-19-2008, 07:01 AM
HCF Member

Name:  Wiring-2.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  44.1 KB

Thats How I have it wired. Will it work?

Old 09-19-2008, 07:16 AM
Recognized HCF Member

NO thats 0.5ohm load it will blow the amp!!!!

Quick Reply: Sound System Almost Done!