Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Sony headunit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 06:45 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Sony headunit?

picked up my sony unit and installed it today. i have to say i am surprise by how well it sounds compared to my jvc. i agree that the equalizer is not that great but i just left mines in their xplod setting and it sounds great. but i will do my custom settings later on. the thing i don't really like about it is the screen. but otherwise the unit sounds great. now i'm just looking for some front and rear speakers. anyone have some recommendations?

Old 03-03-2008, 06:57 PM
HCF Member

Again, I would suggest alpine or pioneer.
But be sure to check your wattage coming out of your headunit to the speakers. Don't over or underpower

Old 03-03-2008, 08:05 PM

i know for sure theres some good sony products out there...its just my sony cdxsomething-add-in-numbers-here wont load cd's and so all i can do is listen to the radio. so it like, broke so its a piece of junk in my book. but, i do recogize that there is some good sony products out there; should have clarified.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:52 PM
HCF Member

for speakers i would definitively stay away from sony. i like how kenwoods sound and the price for them isnt so bad

Old 03-04-2008, 09:27 AM
HCF Member

I like how a lot of people say SONY SUCKS, GO WITH PIONEER.. ALPINE. And no information to back it up. I really believe its a big rumour that sony car audio is horrible. I have 4 sony speakers in my civic with a sony mex-bt5000 head unit. It has given me some of the crispest cleanest sound for not having an amp hooked up to them. Also, DSO is one of the most amazing things that sony has done. It raises your speakers up without even moving them. So when your lows flood, your mids and highs stay clean. I have not seen very good quality out of sony's amps and subwoofers, but I have not seen them all.

sfazingiants- I would recommend to you the same speakers that I am running. They're affordable, they are crisp and clean, and when I have my 2 kicker 12" cvrs playing with them you can still hear your music and not just a bass flood. If you do some more searching you might be able to find a better price.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-XS-V160HP...703&sr=1-3

Old 03-04-2008, 05:33 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: mja988

I like how a lot of people say SONY SUCKS, GO WITH PIONEER.. ALPINE. And no information to back it up. I really believe its a big rumour that sony car audio is horrible. I have 4 sony speakers in my civic with a sony mex-bt5000 head unit. It has given me some of the crispest cleanest sound for not having an amp hooked up to them. Also, DSO is one of the most amazing things that sony has done. It raises your speakers up without even moving them. So when your lows flood, your mids and highs stay clean. I have not seen very good quality out of sony's amps and subwoofers, but I have not seen them all.

sfazingiants- I would recommend to you the same speakers that I am running. They're affordable, they are crisp and clean, and when I have my 2 kicker 12" cvrs playing with them you can still hear your music and not just a bass flood. If you do some more searching you might be able to find a better price.

Have you owned any other speakers other than sony? i have and i prefer kenwood speakers. My friend has some sony subs and amp, he bought them when they just came out and my fosgate amp and kenwood subs sounded wayyy better even if they had less power than the sony and they were about two years old.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:54 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: cyberx32

Have you owned any other speakers other than sony? i have and i prefer kenwood speakers. My friend has some sony subs and amp, he bought them when they just came out and my fosgate amp and kenwood subs sounded wayyy better even if they had less power than the sony and they were about two years old.
Exactly! I have owned a few different, Sony, Jensen, Dual, and Alpine. And out of all of those, I have to say that I prefer and reccomend Pioneer. It is not justa rumor that started against sony. It is people's own personal preference and recommendation. Upgrade/switchto something different than your sony's and you'll see quite the difference mja988.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:59 PM
HCF Member

I had 4 pioneers in my explorer previously, i've worked on many systems, installed many head units, and I have had many head units. My point was that sony is not crap, furthermore this was not to be an AV drama post as well.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:33 PM
HCF Member

I will look into those for sure. are they front and/ or rear speakers? what the sizes for the front and rear peakers for a 99 civic coupe. also how much watts should i be looking for with overpowering the speakers?

Old 03-05-2008, 04:49 AM
HCF Member

If you're just using your head unit to power your speakers, then you will not need to worry about over powering them. I have a 97 ex, so I have 6x9's in the back in 6.5's in the front.. i'm pretty sure its the exact same for your 99.