Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Some help with car audio for a Civic newbie?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 11:01 AM
Default Some help with car audio for a Civic newbie?

Hey there. I just bought my first car last week, a sexy 2003 Civic EX sedan.

Anywho, I need some help with car audio, since I'm a complete newbie.

I have a FM adapter for my iPod, but don't really like the sound quality, so I want to get a car stereo with an auxiliary input in the front.
I was thinking about getting something like THIS.

If I get that, or something similar, would my car's sound quality suffer? Or would that Kenwood (or similarly priced stereo) have the same sound quality as a stock 2003 Honda Civic stereo? Is there a chance the sound quality would even improve?

Also, I was thinking about improving sound quality overall, mainly improved bass (but not too much, since I listen to rock). A subwoofer is out of the question due to my car's size, and I really don't want to install mid speakers in the doors. Would installing a small 2-channel amplifier in the trunk help in any way? If I get a better stereo with increased bass control (past +6), would that work? Is there any other sort of subwoofer-like alternative?

Thanks a bunch, and sorry for all the questions.
Cheers!

Old 02-16-2010, 11:46 AM
HCF Member

The main problem you're having is that you're using an FM transmitter. Those don't put out any kind of good quality audio. Installing that deck into your car with the aux jack is going to help a lot.

I'd recommend putting in some better aftermarket speakers and call it good. I believe your car has 6.5" in the front and 6x9s in the rear.

Edit: The stock paper cone speakers suck out loud.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:46 PM

I have that Kenwood deck you're looking at in my car and it sounds GREAT (although mine has the usb input as well) . It was a huge improvement from the stock head. And yeah I would suggest some good new 2 or 3 way speakers. Component systems are better but if you're a noob and cant install it yourself its a pretty penny to have a professional do it because your car isnt already fitted for component. I just installed new alpine type s 6.5s in my front doors and those with that head unit will give you a really great sound at a really reasonable price.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:30 PM
HCF Member

That deck will definitely improve your sound quality we carry it at the stereo shop i work at and its a great quality deck. altho i would recommend going one step up and go with the one that has the usb input on it so that you can have even better sound quality and ease of use. if you are looking for more bass the only way is to get a sub. they make subs that are really small and made to fit in tight spaces. you can however get more mid-bass and more highs by replacing your factory speakers with aftermarket ones. you could go one step further by amplifying your new aftermarket speakers but like i said you will only get highs and mid-bass not low's like you want

Old 02-17-2010, 01:41 PM

As a matter of personal preference when it comes to rock like you say you'll mainly be listening to mid bass is all you need. Granted if you want it to sound good you'll want new speakers all around and an amp to drive them. Subs (in my experience anyways) seem to work well primarily with synthesized or computerized bass tones which are so common these days. Rock bands usually dont create songs that are nearly as bass heavy as hip hop or newer synthesized music. Aftermarket speakers (6x9:bass and filler) will deliver good bass but if that doesnt satisfy you a good ten inch in the trunk should more than suffice (unless you're tryin to wow a show crowd).

*Also the deck you're looking at has a GREAT bass boost setting if you plan on just running the speakers from the deck

Old 02-18-2010, 04:55 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys. I guess I'll just go with a new stereo for now, and see how I feel about that.

So far, my first choice is the Kenwood KDC-MP242 I linked earlier, mainly because it's cheap, has good features, and the blue color matches my instrument panel. Of course, I'm not going to get it from Best Buy (completely overpriced). But does anyone have any better alternatives to the Kenwood KDC-MP242?

Also, the guy at the Best Buy said installation would be $100, including a whopping $50 for the stereo dash kit and wiring harness. I checked eBay and found a few cheaper ones. Any advice on which I should go with? Or any others?
THIS?
THIS?
THIS?
THIS?

Thanks!!

Old 02-19-2010, 09:07 AM
HCF Member

go with the brand METRA they make the best kits out there
Dash kits: 99-7899 or 99-7897
Wiring: 70-1721

find those part numbers and get one of the dash kits and the wiring

Old 02-19-2010, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by kanarrjl
go with the brand METRA they make the best kits out there
Dash kits: 99-7899 or 99-7897
Wiring: 70-1721

find those part numbers and get one of the dash kits and the wiring
Those look nice. Do you know if they match the color and grain of the rest of the dash?

And also, is there any way I can keep the little pocket with a door?

Last edited by PineappleMan; 02-19-2010 at 01:37 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:30 PM

Hey guys, I actually saw another stereo that I might get instead, the JVC KDR300: LINK.

I can get it on clearance for around $85. Any problems or experience with it? Is it as good or better in quality than that Kenwood?

Also, I'm still looking around for a good dash kit. Which one out there has the closest grain/texture to the rest of the Civic dash? Also, is there any out there that lets me keep the little compartment WITH the little door?

Thanks!

Old 03-05-2010, 08:16 AM
HCF Member

I like Kenwood over JVC any day. and yeah that kit that i told you about is going to match the rest of the civic

Quick Reply: Some help with car audio for a Civic newbie?