Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Should I upgrade alternator or add cap?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 09:52 AM

True.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:57 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by gunz4me
As for upgrades, I upgraded the engine to the chassis ground cable with a 1/0 wire and the battery negative to chassis with a 1/0 cable! I also have a Kinetik battery being charged via the stock alternator, and would choose Kinetik over Optima 10 out of 10 times! Heck, I would use an Interstate battery before I went with an Optima for car audio!
agreed Kinetik v.s. Optima= Kinetik wins. For one they are way cheaper and for two the worlds loudest vehicle is powered by Kinetiks. As for the amps blowing my buddy purchased a brand new Rockford Fosgate 2000 watt amp and thought he was gunna get away with powering it with 2 walmart batterys for a while... then blew the amp after 15 min of playing it. So after the amp came back from warranty he had bought a Kinetik 1800 he hooked up the amp and was so very happy. 2 days and many times showing off the system later he was cleaning the car and found out that the 2nd battery (the Kinetik) had never been hooked up to his other battery or alternator. I was impressed

Old 12-31-2008, 01:40 PM

Where would be a good place for a second battery in an EK Civic?

Old 12-31-2008, 04:49 PM
HCF Member

Look in the trunk between the spare tire and the jack under the false floor. Well, unless you have something else under there....

Old 01-01-2009, 01:41 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ive been using optima yellow d34/78 for about 5years now with no real problems.

and as to the original post just be sure to upgrade the ground wires and you should be alright.. if you buy a voltage display you can keep an eye on you actual voltage.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:54 AM
HCF Member

hey addiction2bass what kinda system you runnin?

Old 01-01-2009, 10:04 AM
HCF Member

WTF, Addiction2Bass got rid of the black Civic?

As for Optima, IIRC, Kinetic offers a slightly higher amp rating in the same size battery and that is the main reason I went Kinetik. More power in the same size package

Old 01-01-2009, 10:35 AM
Recognized HCF Member

well ive had several. i had a 12inch REaudio SX ported powered by 1200watts rms till i sold that amp and then by another amplifier pushen 1600watts rms, but the last system i had in it was a simply 2 type R 12s with a tiny 600watt amplifier.

and in my 96 civic i have my good amplifier BUT wired at 4ohms so its only pushen about 670watts pushing a 15inch type R. and its all stock slight dimming but ive decided not to go all out on the stereo in the civic just yet. i need some bass in the truck first. ive just been to lazy to finish the box and see if my 2 12s type Rs will fit or not... im hoping they will!!!!! if not ill need new subs....

main reason i prefere optima is i bought it from autozone so if it ever goes bad i just go exchange it for another
my first one went bad after 5years of getting drained all the time from my trucks alarm system and being completely dead over a few dozen times.LOL and i bought a second battery from autozone and waited a week or two and took the old one back, they held it overnight to charge it up and check it and next day they gave me a new one
2 new batteries for the price of one. LMFAO
yes i know its fraud but for a 200dollar battery they are still getting there money.LOL

and ya no more black civic. i put it back stock and traded it for my truck in my sig tho i do need a better picture for my sig.

Old 01-01-2009, 03:14 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by addiction2bass
well ive had several. i had a 12inch REaudio SX ported powered by 1200watts rms till i sold that amp and then by another amplifier pushen 1600watts rms, but the last system i had in it was a simply 2 type R 12s with a tiny 600watt amplifier.

and in my 96 civic i have my good amplifier BUT wired at 4ohms so its only pushen about 670watts pushing a 15inch type R. and its all stock slight dimming but ive decided not to go all out on the stereo in the civic just yet. i need some bass in the truck first. ive just been to lazy to finish the box and see if my 2 12s type Rs will fit or not... im hoping they will!!!!! if not ill need new subs....

main reason i prefere optima is i bought it from autozone so if it ever goes bad i just go exchange it for another
my first one went bad after 5years of getting drained all the time from my trucks alarm system and being completely dead over a few dozen times.LOL and i bought a second battery from autozone and waited a week or two and took the old one back, they held it overnight to charge it up and check it and next day they gave me a new one
2 new batteries for the price of one. LMFAO
yes i know its fraud but for a 200dollar battery they are still getting there money.LOL

and ya no more black civic. i put it back stock and traded it for my truck in my sig tho i do need a better picture for my sig.
If you can't squeeze two 12" Type Rs into that truck, something is wrong, lol! One of my friends was hitting 150s with two 18 inch Kicker DVC subs a few years ago in a 1996 Extended cab GMC pickup truck. He had FOUR 1000BD amps, one on each voice coil!

Of course, I am just kidding because I know some people actually want to have a usable extended cab, and a pair of 18s will make it useless and FAST!

Old 01-01-2009, 03:59 PM
Recognized HCF Member

o ya... i want to keep the rear seat. not like my last system in my old truck.LOL
2 15s REaudio SX ported 34hz, pushed by a orion 2500D 2500watts rms. needless to say it was a nice back massage!
and all the wires where hidden probably my best box ive ever built so far!
all 3/4mdf double layered top for flush mounting the subs.

pics definatly not the best.... hard to get a good picture with the front seats still in the truck.

tho some good news is i just tested the fit of the type Rs in my framed box and they will fit..... very close but they will fit. i just have to tweek the frame a bit and trim down the floor abit more and glass them together and build the rest. and im lifting the rear bench about 4inches so no one over 6ft will have head room back there.LOL
this is pics of my old truck tho.

not my best welding/metal job but plenty strong. was difficult because the shape was odd and had to fit perfectly so the seat wouldnt move any!

but i went big with my old truck and i paid for it since it turned the truck into a 2 seater which ment my truck was not the party truck since only one other person could get in.LOL so this time im keeping the bench seat

Last edited by addiction2bass; 01-01-2009 at 04:02 PM.