Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Satellite Question - Deck Vs Dash Mount?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 05:02 AM
Default Satellite Question - Deck Vs Dash Mount?

Hey Everyone

I'm having a dilemma about satellite radio in my 2005 Civic LX. I currently have the factory stereo in it, which works, but is not very loud at all. I would like to get satellite radio but I an unsure whether to just get the dash mounted unit with the FM direct wired kit or if I should spring for a new deck that is SAT ready. The speakers seem terrible in the 05 civic so I'm wondering if upgrading the deck alone will even make that big of a difference to the sound of the factory speakers.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks everyone

Mahones

Old 05-30-2007, 08:05 AM
Default RE: Satellite Question - Deck Vs Dash Mount?

everything makes a difference unless ur speakers are blown. sat ready headunits provide a cleaner install. i personaly bought an extnernal one thinking i would buy home kits but then i realized i could use the internet to listen to it too. so if u plan on having a home kit or multiple vehicles you should get an external one. so the question you should ask yourself, are you going to listen to it anywhere other than your 05 LX?, and if you choose to buy a new headunit dont forget that Sat radio ready means you still have to buy the tuner box on top of the price of the headunit. I personaly would recomend the headunit.

Old 06-01-2007, 04:46 AM

My experience with SAT radio is with XM. Once I installed it in one car I wanted it in all cars. I have one in our family car andone in my work truck. Both are removable so I can take them to another vehicle or into my office/house. So I would cast my vote for a removable with a new head unit with an AUX in port.

I have an inexpensive SONY with an AUX in port in the faceplate and XM sounds great thru it.

Jim

Old 06-01-2007, 06:37 AM

ORIGINAL: cjmac49

My experience with SAT radio is with XM. Once I installed it in one car I wanted it in all cars. I have one in our family car andone in my work truck. Both are removable so I can take them to another vehicle or into my office/house. So I would cast my vote for a removable with a new head unit with an AUX in port.

I have an inexpensive SONY with an AUX in port in the faceplate and XM sounds great thru it.

Jim
if you want to go the removable route i would definetly go with the wired fm modulator over the aux because i work in a stereo shop and with the exception of this one crazy guy who owns 6 cars, all with the same stereo setup, the consensus of all the employees and our customers is that the aux can cause sound issues if you turn up the volume on what ever u are pluging into it to loud. its basically because u are running two amplifiers in line. the wired fm modulator puts the low level volume out and lets the headunit take care of the rest, but i still say go with the sat ready radio with a tuner box

Old 06-03-2007, 04:32 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya dito with wanting it in every car.LMFAO but i sold my sportster and got a indash unit with my alpine so now i have more free windshield space

Old 06-03-2007, 09:59 PM

if you do decide to go with a dash mount unit there are special brackets that make it look good

www.bracketron.com
www.pro-fit-intl.com

Old 06-08-2007, 02:38 AM
HCF Member

i say go with heaunit with the tuner box. fm modulater sounds like **** compared to wired. i put a dash mounted one in my buddy's car and tried the fm modular way and the aux input way and it was like listening to a cassette and a cd, BIG DIFFERENCE.

Old 06-08-2007, 07:36 AM
HCF Member

GEt the deck... why wouldn't you? You'll have all the controls from one source and you wont look like a freaking commuter.