Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Reprogamming Keyless entry with after market stereo

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 04:18 PM
Default Reprogamming Keyless entry with after market stereo

I just recently had an Alpine CDA 9856 CD receiver installed in my 1998 Honda Civic. A Best BHA 1720T Honda Civic 96&up T-Harness was used to attached it to the factory installed radio which was pushed behing the new one. I as told this was necessary in order for the keyless entry to work. My original remote stopped working about a year ago so I have, just within a few days, purchased a new factory remote via the internet. The programming instructions required that I place my ignition switch in the II position and then click my remote and turn it off. This procedure was to be repeated several times in order for the new remote to program. After trying this several times, without success, I contacted the seller's tech support and they told me they couldn't help me without me having access to the factory radio because I needed to use the menu button to program the new remote. I thought the T-harness was suppose to eliminate the need to access the factory radio. Couldn't I use the menu button on the new radio to do this or am I doomed to having remove the new one in order to get to the old one. Thanks for any advice or help.

Old 10-19-2006, 04:31 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Reprogamming Keyless entry with after market stereo

well..i no my answer is not really going to help, but cant you just try using your aftermaket deck? if it fails it fails..but atleat you tried
second..thats weard why they had to leave your stock deck in there for your factory keyless to work, mabey its different from a 96 to a 00, but i have keyless and i didnt have to keep my factory radio in

Old 10-19-2006, 04:48 PM

Yes the old deck has to be left in and connected in order for the factory keyless to work on all 1998 hondas. This is not the case for after market keyless kits. Having to remove my new deck in order to get to the old one is what I am trying to avoid. Thanks for you help.

Old 10-19-2006, 08:52 PM
Recognized HCF Member

my 99 EX doesnt need the radio in the car...............
i got mine with a aftermarket radio and it still worked.......... and ya its only got the aftermarket radio cause i swaped it out also..... sounds odd...

but if you cannt get it reprogramed then just use some aftermarket keyless entry systems.......

mine worked fine but i always go aftermarket wiht a nice alarm/remote start system.....

heres the program info that they gave me when i bought my second remote control....

KEYLESS ENTRY PROGRAMMING
Have all remotes for the vehicle on hand.
Make sure all the doors and rear hatch/trunk are closed during programming.
Only need to use 1 remote to get into program mode but all remotes must be programmed during the same session.
Each step must be completed within 5 seconds.
1. Sit in the car with all doors/trunk tightly closed
2. Turn the key to the ON position, marked by “II†on the ignition bezel so the dash lights come on, then within 5 seconds press the “Lock†button on the remote for 1 second or so and release the button.
3. Turn the key to the OFF position, marked by “I†on the ignition bezel – dash lights go off.
4. Repeat steps 2 & 3 three more times (A total of 4 times) – each step must be done within 5 seconds of the previous step.
5. Upon the 4th turning of the key to “ONâ€, press the lock button on one remote, the locks will make a cycling sound (clunk), locks will NOT lock or unlock at this point, they will just make a noise. The system is now in programming mode. Do not turn key off.
6. Within 5 seconds of entering programming mode and within 5 seconds of each other, press the lock button ON EACH remote you are programming, for a second or so and release. This step needs to be completed within 10 seconds. Each time a remote button is pushed, the locks should cycle. Up to 3 remotes can be programmed.
7. Turn ignition completely off and remove the key. Step out of car and close door. The remotes should be programmed and should work. If you have a trunk/hatch release, the button for this feature needs to be held for a few seconds before the trunk/hatch will “popâ€.

Old 10-20-2006, 01:07 PM
HCF Member

Yeah man, sounds like you gotta pull that little bugger out and use the factory deck to reprogram your keyless entry, then you can just pop your deck right back in, just a little annoying but thats all

Old 10-20-2006, 01:40 PM
Recognized HCF Member

i didnt have to have my radio inplace...... my programing was all with the key and door pin switch.

tho it is preaty hard to do it the first time! it took me about a dozen times to finaly get them both programed! just read all the instructions realy good and try to remember them or have someone else read them to ya while your doing it.LOL you have to do it all in so much time for it to work right!

Old 03-02-2007, 11:45 PM
hgv

hi all

i newly had a 97 civic ex and its keyless doesnt work,
previous owner of the car said that it was working but suddnely stoped working two weeks ago.

it has a aftermarket unit on it and the stock head unit is in the dash, but the valet button that is mentioned in the re-programing guide is not on the head unit, in fact there are not any buttons on the stock head,

i want to try to re program the keyless, but how?

the one involving turning on the ignition on and off severel times doesnt work.

please help me

thanks in advance

Old 03-03-2007, 12:34 AM
HCF Member

I have said it 100 times, Honda sucks with electronics.

Their cars are meant to last forever, drive hard, and save money, but they sure don't put much attention to the audio/luxury electronics.

I say go aftermarket all the way on keyless. My CRV came with factory, and someone before I purchased it, installed aftermarket. I just figured out it had remote start last week, was punching random buttons and a series of presses started that bad boy up... It was like opening a christmas present.

Now her *** parks outside and i get the garage.