Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

THE PIMPEST SUB SETUP EVER!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 08:46 PM
Default THE PIMPEST SUB SETUP EVER!!!!!!!!!

first click (or cut and paste) this link and see what i'm talkin about.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ferrerid=56200

i freggin love that shiz. I really want subs but i really really want all my trunk space. i have a shi*ty sound system because i wont give up the trunk to a phatty sub box.

now granted it's only one 10 inch sub, this bmw has a setup that blew me away. remiscent of james bond, the back seat slides up to reveal a sub taking up practically no trunk space.
imagine for a second the possibilities of this concept, maybe two twelves and an amp between the two back seats?

I'm gonna attempt to pull this thing off and i'll take plenty of pics for you guys. the thing is, i've never done anything like this and i'm sure i'll butcher my civic, but i'm gonna do it anyway.

I hope someone is reading this who has some kind of idea of how this can be done and will give me a few pointers; or better yet, i hope someone will read this and think it is as pimp as i do and will try to do it on his civic and show us how it's done.

maybe i can remove the original rear seat cleanly so that when i f*ck up the project, i can replace it as if nothing ever happened.

i guess i'll start by taking some measurements and lay it all out on paper ehh? dammit, i should've paid attention in math class!! hold up...the cosine of 45 is root 2 over 2, no no...i'm screwed.

here's what i had in mind...

[IMG]local://upfiles/15957/0714B3453A8D4594ABD83A99C31101EF.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/15957/6A784AD118564D22AD08FB3B9FE9B720.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-20-2006, 10:06 PM
Default RE: THE PIMPEST SUB SETUP EVER!!!!!!!!!

GL i dont think it will sound that good but it will look good. you wont have any bounce out of your trunk. you need the sub facing the rear of your car for accurate bounce back .

Old 11-20-2006, 10:21 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: kman92civicsi

GL i dont think it will sound that good but it will look good. you wont have any bounce out of your trunk. you need the sub facing the rear of your car for accurate bounce back .
Wrong. Which ever way the sub is facing doesnt matter. Toxic... the only advice I can give you is to make sure you can buy another back seat before doing the project. If you happen to live near Charleston, S.C. I would gladly help you pull it off. Other than that, for a fist timer I recommend you stick to something more simpler... like my DIY trunk install.

Old 11-20-2006, 11:50 PM

of course it doesnt matter, but what i ahve learned from lots of experience is that , say you ahve a sub box right subs in properly. if you have the sub box turned facing the front of the car it is not going to give you that good rebound bass sound. when u have the sub box facign the back of the car the bass bounces off of the trunk or hatch wtvr and bounces to you giving you the quality rebound bass. dude i used to install stereo's for a living .

Old 11-21-2006, 12:04 AM

definitely do what what Remmy said and get yourself another back seat to try it out on. ever time i would ever attempt something new in my truck that required possibly destroying a stock component, i would always go out the salvage yard and pull off what i needed to do it safely...and it really paid off a few times when things didnt work out the way i wanted.

oddly enough, i've been pongering this type of setup ever since i bought my car about a month ago. in my old truck, i had my subs under the back bench seat (because the seat bottom was suspended from the ground and plenty of room) and they faced forward, acting almost like midbass speakers but yet also like subs as well. it made for a phenominal sound. if you attempt this, please keep us posted on what you are doing and how you are doing it. maybe a continual log on here or something??? good luck

Old 11-21-2006, 12:44 AM

ok heres a few pics about how i would do the setup. in the first pic you can see a regular back seat from a 2005 coupe (i dont know if it differs from the sedan or not) i would fabricate it to be able to remove the lower-mid section of the each side of the seat (shown by red boxes in the second picture. kinda like removing a seat foam pillow and then just push it back in when the seat is being used. that way you could have two good sized subs poking through.

[IMG]local://upfiles/15257/24AE793D1C104814B93B0D46E8603D69.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/15257/12CAB1A752174D9AB5B301C15A0567C9.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-21-2006, 01:13 PM
HCF Member

it would work but ur whole trunk would need to be sealed off from the cabin in order to sound somewhat decent. use resin, foam, mdf, etc , the trunk must be air tight sealed from cabin

Old 11-21-2006, 03:14 PM

to each his own, i hope this works out for you it is going to look good if you take your time, and liek remmy said you should practise. are you just goign to have the section that is removed big enough for the sub or are you going to have part of the box showind if you do have part of the box showing i would make a custom fiberglass piece if i were you to clean it up a little bit. i would have it so i could remove the fiberglass piece and put it back on , so when i took the seat cushion off i could slip on the fiberglass piecve and i would have it level with the rest of the cushion. that is what i would do . GL though

Old 11-21-2006, 03:17 PM

oh and talk about a back massage!

Old 11-21-2006, 05:04 PM
Recognized HCF Member

about to say no it doesnt need to be sealed off from the truck.... mines not sealed off and it still sounds realy nice with very little if ANY trunk rattling for my forward firing sub setup....
of course with firing the sub forwards not all bass will sound realy good... BUT to compensate for that get a nice SQ subwoofer and amplifier to put out some nice sounding bass....

and definatly for that idea get another seat and test with.LOL
if you put some 10s in thier it would be preaty easy to make a small box for them... personaly id just throw a small box in the trunk.... if ya haul some stuff just keep the amplifier mounted either outta the way or inside the cabin and just use some long enough speaker wires that you can move the box all the way to the front seat if your hauling some long stuff or slide it to one side....
that center firing sub thru the seat is posible.... but just to much work if ya ask me!

its posible.... but the ammount of planing.... and the ammount of time ACTUALY TRYING to build it will be trial and error completly..... never garenteed it will work or even look good.....

so what id say if you haul a bunch of stuff just build a small box for a 10 or 12 with some long wires so you can move it around or discount it realy quick and pull it out for a day....

i wish ya luck BUT i dont think it would be worth all that work....

ya might think about doing something different....
what i thought about doing before was building some fiberglass boxes for the trunk that go into those rear corners, one for each sub or just one sub... those would allow you the most trunk space and keepen outta the way for hauling big stuff....