Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Overhauling the audio system ('97 LX) - speaker help?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 01:23 PM
Default Overhauling the audio system ('97 LX) - speaker help?

The volume **** is almost broken. There's a tape player but no CD player. The FM reception blows. The fidelity is terrible. Time for a new radio system.

I've already decided to go with getting a cheaper deck from Best Buy or Circuit City. They have this $110 Pioneer that's over the $99.99 minimum to get the free installation, and it has everything I could possibly want, basically, an MP3 CD player and a digital display. I could go with a more expensive deck, but I don't see any reason to considering it would only buy me more features that I don't need.

As for the speakers: I took a good look at the car today while I was cleaning it out. The front speaker grills popped off easily, exposing the speakers. They look easy to swap out. For the rears, I half-followed the guide here: https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_136218/tm.htmand it looks like it will be relatively easy to get to the rears also, although I can see how it might be a 30 minute job.

Now, I posted on another forum and they deferred me from getting the Infinity or Polk speakers that Circuit City and Best Buy sell. I've heard good stuff about both, but they recommended Diamond Audio or JL Audio instead. I was surprised to find that JL has some affordable speakers and I might just have to get over to a dealer to check them out. I also posted a question about modification but they haven't responded yet. Bottom line:

--If you have any recommendations for speakers, I'm open to suggestions. As far as pricing goes, the Polks are $100 and $150 for the 6.5" and 6x9's respectively for reference, so that would be about my budget for this project. I want to keep it cheap. I don't believe in investing a lot in audio for something that produces noise as soon as you turn it on.
--If you know any information about what modification is necessary to install new speakers, it would help. I would rather find out now than later that I need to drill something out behind the front speakers to give them room to fit.

Old 06-10-2007, 02:35 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Overhauling the audio system ('97 LX) - speaker help?

look at diamond D3s there affordable and sound pretty good..there one of my favorite speakers for the money.

Old 06-10-2007, 05:44 PM
Default RE: Overhauling the audio system ('97 LX) - speaker help?

Yes, I got another recommendation for them. What advantage would they offer over the speakers I would find on Crutchfield, for example?

Also, I found some on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/DIAMOND-AUDIO-D3...QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/DIAMOND-AUDIO-D3...QQcmdZViewItem

How do I know they're real? Diamond Audio's site says they only sell through retailers, and the closest one is in NY, whereas I live in NJ.

Also, will these fit, or require modification to my existing setup?

Thanks for the help.