Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

New SUB

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 01:17 PM
Default RE: New SUB

ORIGINAL: Crutchfield

RMS Power vs. Peak Power

The amount of continuous power, measured in watts, that an amplifier produces is called RMS power. The higher the RMS figure, the louder and cleaner your music sounds. When choosing an amplifier, the RMS rating is the power rating you should pay most attention to. Also, keep in mind that some manufacturers calculate the RMS power ratings of their amplifiers at different input voltages. For example, an amplifier rated at 100 watts RMS at 12 volts can produce considerably more power than an amp rated at 100 watts RMS at the more typical 14.4 volts. Stereo manufacturers often display peak power ratings on the face of their products. The peak power rating tells you the maximum wattage an amplifier can deliver as a brief burst during a musical peak, like a dramatic drum accent. The RMS figure is more significant.

For loud pronounced bass I'd head for a band pass box. Yes it's not the best box or set up BUT if you want to let the world know you're coming it's the best set up that doesn't require alot of work. I say this because I used to have a 93 grand caravan with 2 12" subs in a band pass box tuned mega low running about 250rms and I got told by one brother that he knew I had arrived because the 50' front glass wall at his work would start vibrating from my bass, that was with the van parked a good 60+ feet from the front of the building.....

I personally look for clarity and loud in the car and don't worry too much about broadcasting to the world..... well beyond the worry of annoying a cop

Old 08-17-2007, 02:31 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya bandpass boxes typicaly are the best BUT they are very specific for that subwoofer!

Old 08-17-2007, 06:12 PM
HCF Member

bandpass boxes sound better in trucks that dont have a trunk. Most of the bass will stay in the trunk if you run it in a car.

Old 08-17-2007, 07:38 PM
HCF Member

sorry but IMO band pass's are complete junk

Old 08-17-2007, 11:13 PM
HCF Member

A band pass can be very good boxes if they are made just right... but you would need a woofer that is meant for a band pass box...

Old 08-18-2007, 06:53 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ya id have to agree.... BUT if your not making the box to SPEC for that subwoofer setup well THEN ITS JUNK!
id never run a bandpass box UNLESS it was designed FOR that subwoofer setup!
like my REALY OLD audiobahn loaded bandpass box... it sounded realy nice..... BUT those prefab bandpass boxes that come empty... DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!!!!!!

sealed boxes are VERY FORGIVING!!!!!!! ported boxes are alittle tickier... but bandpass boxes are VERY SPECIFIC!!!

ive heard alot about some ABC boxes sounding great BUT never tried one.... to specific for me to wanna design and build!

Old 08-18-2007, 09:21 AM
HCF Member

I still say go ported. If you want to hear the bass from far away, your best option is a well built ported box. They are more efficient than a sealed, but easier to buld than a band pass... I've built countless boxes, so if you can read the T/S numbers or the recommended specs, you can have a great box.

Old 08-18-2007, 09:26 AM

Remember folks, I did say "it's not the best box/set up", I only suggested it because it's cheap bass and they project bass damn well. My personal choice for boxes is always seal, I like the simplicity of them and that I don't always need a huge box to get good output.

I actually had 2 12"s (volfenhag ebay subs) in a 2 cu/ft common chamber box running like 200~250rms and I blew my buddies ear drum.... but I have a feeling that was also due to the fact that the subs were in the back of a square body mini van and only the front windows were open.... ah the good ol days lol [8D]

Old 08-18-2007, 10:24 AM

just so you see what im working with so far...

[IMG]local://upfiles/12706/0ABBE70F3E65415E92BC944AB36EEC1F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-23-2007, 03:50 AM

Most 15" subs don't have a large XMAX which is the voice coil movement. Your better off using a high quality 11-12" sub like JL Audio W-7. I would rather have dual 10's then 1-15" sub. Just make sure you have a high quality CLEAN amp and MAKE sure you use a cap. A MUST for real bass.

Quick Reply: New SUB