Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

New receiver unit vs. factory receiver and iPod interface

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 10:16 PM
Default New receiver unit vs. factory receiver and iPod interface

Hi everyone. I recently got a used 1999 Civic LX. It came with just the factory AM/FM radio receiver unit -- no CD deck and no tape deck. This is fine with me, though, because I only really plan on listening to my iPod or the radio in the car.

Now my question is: what would be a better investment -- a new receiver unit with an AUX input to replace what I have now, or getting an iPod power/audio adapter that would plug into my unused CD input like this one? As you can see, the latter costs $80 on its own, but it both powers the iPod and provides a clean input, in one very clean interface.

Is the factory unit in my 1999 LX too weak to be any good anymore? I was planning on putting new speakers into the car soon too -- would it be a bust for me to keep the factory receiver unit and more intelligent price-wise and sound-wise to get a new unit that has an AUX input, or should I do my modifications with the Blitzsafe cable, install new speakers, and keep the factory receiver unit in place?

Thanks for any help!

Old 07-18-2005, 09:34 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: New receiver unit vs. factory receiver and iPod interface

Go with a NEW NEW NEW headunit with an AUX input. Might I suggest www.eclipse-web.com for the best ipod sound? Ive heard that Alpine has a unit to interact with the Ipod. Look into www.alpine.com