Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

New Civic owner looking to use his iPod

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 04:06 PM
Default New Civic owner looking to use his iPod

Hey everyone, as of a couple weeks ago, I'm proud to say that I'm the owner of a '99 Honda Civic LX.

I'm looking to find a way to integrate my iPod into the stereo, and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience or advice to offer. I'd like to use a line-in if possible and stay away from FM transmitters. From what I've looked at on Crutchfield, it is going to cost me around $150. Any help you could offer would be much appreciated. Thanks.

-BJ

Old 08-14-2006, 05:24 PM
Default RE: New Civic owner looking to use his iPod

i have an alpine head unit with the ipod adapter box, the old style one. the new generation alpine ipod interface is just a 30 dollar cable you plug into the radio andother end in the ipod. awesome quality, but a bit expensive. i still use my fm transmitter also.

Old 08-14-2006, 06:00 PM

Do you have a link to the new alpine ipod interface cable?

Old 08-14-2006, 06:42 PM

the cable is only used with an alpine headunit. but here is a link http://www.alpine-usa.com/en/product...category=AV_HU

Old 08-14-2006, 07:28 PM

Thanks for the info... I think I'm looking into an AUX input connector (http://ipodcarparts.com/honda-9804-i...pod-p-250.html). My only issue seems to be that I would have to disconnect the current CD player...

Old 08-14-2006, 09:09 PM

Enjoy your system with an ipod, don't just put in a partial fix just to play the tunes..........do it right by getting something like this Alpine deck with this iPod cable . I've got his in my Ranger (love it) which I can control the playlists and stuff on my deck vice having to fumble around with my nano that stays stucked away in the glove box. Peace-out

Old 08-14-2006, 10:18 PM

I wish there was an ipod cable like that for the stereo that came in my Civic. I don't mind the one that's there, and I don't feel like dropping the $200 on a new one. The FM Transmitter is starting to look awful tempting...

Old 08-16-2006, 03:18 PM

I've gone both ways with this. I've used an FM transmitter in the past and then upgraded to an Alpine HU with a connector cable through the glove compartment. I find that of course you get better sound through the cable, but using the Griffin itrip, the key to getting a decent sound out of it, is finding a clear radio station in your area. Since $300 isn't always easy to come by, if you do end up with the transmitter, spend some time going through and listening to the stations one by one and picking ones that don't have any kind of interference from nearby stations.

Old 08-17-2006, 12:42 AM

You can also get a pioneer deck and get the ipod interface for that one. The ipod interface is $50 a little expensive but works good. I just got mine installed and love it. Awesome quality

Old 01-23-2007, 10:09 PM
HCF Member

hi guys, i've been reading threads about honda stereo and ipod links. most of the people here either changed head units or just bought an AUX cable to connect their ipod. i searched thru net and ebay and found ipod interfaces specifically for honda civics. they allow you to connect your ipod as if a cd changer and let you control your ipod thru the OEM headunit (cool). I've seen dension, icelink, djmoto etc etc. my question is has anyone tried using these and are they any good?

Quick Reply: New Civic owner looking to use his iPod