Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Need opinions on this sub/box combo at Best Buy

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 06:30 PM
HCF Member

Haha, no doubt man.. I agree with you there.

This isn't meant to win any contests.. $200 doesn't buy much. I figure I'm probably still doin alright with what I've got.

Still keepin an eye on CL though.. if something better pops up for cheap I'll grab it (such as the Alpine Type R).

Old 07-31-2009, 06:51 PM
HCF Member

I would get some sound deadener and inspection the trunk seals as well as the taillight seals and try to seal the rear trunk license plate garnish to make sure they have a very tight seal, every bit helps. It will make a sub-par system sound much better and cleaner. Just make sure to tune the amp with the highs and lows of your other speakers.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:42 PM
Chubby Chaser

HERE YOU GO
this will help his problem without spending$$$$ which he stated he does not have

PerformanceShop.com.au

Why Use a Farad Capacitor in Your Car Audio System?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Farad Capacitor acts as a surge current reservoir for your amplifiers and other electrical equipment. When amplifiers are subject to transient peaks and spikes, they often need to draw significant amount of current to cope. When this happens, the supply voltage can drop by a few volts. This voltage drop can cause distortion and cause the output to clip which can damage your valuable speakers. It can also ‘dim’ your vehicle lights, and decrease the amount of electrical power going to your engine which in turn can diminish your fuel economy.

To prevent an overload and for another means of protection, an internal relay circuit disconnects the terminals from the capacitor when the internal voltage falls below 10VDC. This is a great safety feature that reduces the risk of electrical shorts. As an added bonus there is a changing circuit built in, so there is no need to pre-charge it prior to installation.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:55 PM
HCF Member

I know what a capacitor is and what it does, for christ's sake, i study the theory behind them and have worked with them. I'm just saying for his need, he doesn't need it. Especially if he has the amp tuned down.

Thanx for the lesson though kthx bye

Old 07-31-2009, 08:14 PM
HCF Member

About 98% of people DON'T need them. And that 2% should already know who they are

Old 07-31-2009, 09:28 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by ej6buddy
I would get some sound deadener and inspection the trunk seals as well as the taillight seals and try to seal the rear trunk license plate garnish to make sure they have a very tight seal, every bit helps. It will make a sub-par system sound much better and cleaner. Just make sure to tune the amp with the highs and lows of your other speakers.
I'm doing the tails tomorrow.. what should I do to make sure they're sealed? Is there some sort of silicone or something I should use with them?

What kind of sound dampener is recommended, and more importantly, where can I buy it? In in the Ventura/Oxnard area in So-Cal.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:44 PM
HCF Member

Ok, I'm on the east coast, so i have no freaking clue where to buy anything,lol.

Just inspect the taillight seals. After many years and different seasons, they tend to dry up and become a little brittle. You could just use some gasket sealer. Sound deadener is up to you. It varies in thickness and sizes. Make sure the trunk garnish is sealed where you license plate goes to keep it 'fairly' air tight.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:51 PM
HCF Member

K, will do.. last thing I want is my trunk rattling.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:22 PM
Chubby Chaser

keep in mind it will also make your car heavier. i added some dynomat once to a trunk lid and that §hit was hell to lift up.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:32 PM
HCF Member

It's a honda man, anything is going to feel like a lot of weight because it doesn't come with any type of deadener from factory. There are ways to beef up the trunk bars if you're not strong enough.

Quick Reply: Need opinions on this sub/box combo at Best Buy