Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Need opinions on this sub/box combo at Best Buy

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 02:18 PM
HCF Member
Default Need opinions on this sub/box combo at Best Buy

I'm looking to pick up a 10" sub and box at Best Buy (or somewhere else?)..

I'm looking at these two:

Sub - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218063828951
Box - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218009784482

For tighter bass, would I be better off with a bandpass rather than ported? I know I don't like the sound of sealed enclosures, at least from what I've heard from a friend's stereo.. it sounded sloppy.

For an amp, I'm not sure what to get.. I really don't want to spend a lot, just want to get something that will power the sub reasonably well. Not looking for huge bass anymore, just to fill in the low end and add a bit of oomph.. but nothing sloppy. I like tight bass.

Amp - http://www.frys.com/product/5879933?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG ?

Old 07-28-2009, 02:45 PM
HCF Member

first off a sealed box is the best way to go for the cleanest sound, and a bandpass is definetely the worst sound quality box. If you friend's sounded sloppy in a sealed box, then either the sub sucked, it might have been blown, or the box was crappy or the wrong size for that sub. A sub in a correctly sized sealed box will give you the best sound with the cleanest tightest bass.

second, that setup seams to all match up pretty well. I have never dealt with any of those so i can't say for sure how good it will sound, but the power ratings do match up.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:11 PM
HCF Member

Cool man, thanks for the input. You could be right, my friend always cranks his **** up, so the sub could've been blown.. it was also in an Eclipse, which doesn't have a sealed trunk, so that could have affected the sound as well.

Anyway, the sealed box at BB is actually cheaper, so I don't mind trying it out first... great thing about there is I can always take it back if I don't like it.

I had a bandpass box way back in the day (like over 10 years ago), I forget who designed it, but this thing sounded frickin awesome.. got huge deep bass, but it wasn't very tight. It was also the biggest box I've seen for 1 sub.. took up most of my trunk in the MX6 I used to own.

I'll grab the Kenwood sub and sealed box and see how it sounds.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:46 PM
HCF Member

No, just no to everything.....Kenwood makes some decent HU's, but not much else

Ported boxes are tuned, and have to be tuned just right for the sub. BUT a tuned box can be just as clean as a sealed box.

and that amp.......for $50 and the (most likely bogus) specs it has, i'm betting it's pretty worthless.

what's you budget?

ninja edit: the only sub worth looking at at BB is the type r IMHO,

Old 07-28-2009, 09:28 PM
HCF Member

I went ahead and ordered the Kenwood sub, found a great deal on it with PriceGrabber. Got it for $67 shipped.

I'm looking at a few different amps on eBay, since that amp that I found on Fry's has been discontinued and the nearest store that has stock is 50 miles away.

So these are the amps I'm looking at (all ~$75):

Kenwood KAC-6202
Kenwood KAC-7202
Kenwood KAC-7203
Jensen JPA285
Phoenix Gold V752

Opinions welcome!

EDIT: oh crap, I missed your post Superfly. To answer your question, my budget is limited.. I don't want to spend more than $150-200 total on the sub/amp/box. Wish I'd seen your post before I ordered that Kenwood sub.. the Alpine looks like a nice sub for sure. Well, I'll keep my fingers crossed I like the Kenwood.

Last edited by kloan; 07-28-2009 at 09:35 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:10 PM
HCF Member

Meh with that budget, you're not gonna get a whole lot

I don't really like kenwood amps, for valid reasons, but they're ok

Old 07-29-2009, 01:01 PM

I'm not a fan of Kenwood anything. I'm not saying they are crap, I just don't fancy them. Have you checked your local CL by chance? I found a 5 channel Alpine v12 Amp for $80. Trust me, it is more than enough for my set-up.

I have been looking on my CL for subs and I have found Alpine type R's and kickers (both 10") for about $50 a piece.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:56 PM
HCF Member

yeah, i think CL is probably the best place to find gear... i check it a few times a day, i did see some nice stuff a couple weeks ago, before i was in the market.. i'll check it now though, see if i can find something good for cheap.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:34 PM
HCF Member

if you can wait, you'll definitely find some good deals on CL. There's been a bunch of good deals in ABQ at least

Actually hoping to buy an amp tomorrow lol. I'd check CL everyday, cause good equipment goes really fast....sometimes even that day Just search amp real quick, and look for names like rockford fosgate, alpine (two main ones here) i'd stay away from pioneer and sony....see a lot of those and they're crap.

edit: what CL listings do you look under? i can go throught them pretty fast for ya, tell you if there's anything good

Last edited by Superfly; 07-29-2009 at 07:38 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:03 PM
Chubby Chaser

rockford fosgate is crap also or was i dont know for sure if they still are

Quick Reply: Need opinions on this sub/box combo at Best Buy