Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Need ideas on installing Creative mp3 player

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 05:49 PM
HCF Member
Default Need ideas on installing Creative mp3 player

A short while ago, I bought a Creative Zen Stone Plus mp3 player, in black.
http://www.creative.com/products/mp3/zenstoneplus/
My plan is to somehow mount it in front of the little cubby-hole to the right of my deck, angled a bit toward me. (btw, I drive a 98 Civic Si.) I want it to look nice, but at the same time, it needs to be easily removable, and I need access to the top button while it's mounted (power/play/pause.) At the moment, the 1/8" phono plug I have running to my AUX IN is a straight plug, but I'm considering getting a right-angle plug, if I can find one... the thinner the better.

So far, I've thought of:
-bent aluminum plate held with velcro (paint the plate black, to blend in better, of course)
-some sort of block, perhaps wood, fit into the cubby-hole (doubt I'd like this one)

So, this is where the friendly folks at HCF can help me out. How would you mount this mp3 player?
Dimensions: 2.19" Height x 1.41" Width x 0.69" Depth

Mr^Man

Old 10-15-2008, 07:52 PM
HCF Member

at work we make a lot of custom brackets for satellite radios and ipods and mp3 players out of sheets of black ABS plastic that are about 1/8 in thick. Its really easy to use because it can be easily melted and shaped to whatever shape you need it to be. We get it through our parts dealer, but you might be able to get some at a home improvement store.

What I would do is get a piece that is about the width of the pocket and make an L shape out of it. This is where the ABS is nice because if you want it at an angle its really easy to give it a nice curved angle. Then mount it so that one side is flat on the top or bottom of the pocket and the other would be flat with the dash. Then get one of those Ipod holders that you can find for around 10 bucks at any electronics store, and mound it to the bracket.

As for the the cable drill a hole in the back of the pocket and run the wire through the hole and out the pocket so that it can plug into the top of the mp3 player.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:53 PM
HCF Member

I like the idea of the black ABS... might set it up mounted from the side, with a 70 degree bend in it, to aim the mp3 player toward the driver a little bit...
I haven't seen any holders that would fit my particular mp3 player, though... I'd like to find something that holds solidly, as I'd rather not resort to velcro to hold the player to the bracket. I think that would look tacky. Mind you, if I need to use velcro, I might try to dish the bracket to fit the curve of the back of my player, to give it a more solid feel...

Any other ideas are welcome!

Mr^Man

Old 10-15-2008, 09:11 PM
HCF Member

Ya i didnt look at the pic of the mp3 player, I just assumed it looked like the older Zen that I remembered seeing. Velcro would definitely be enough to hold that in place, but I don't know how happy you will be with the way it looks