Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

My system is almost done!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 08:17 AM
HCF Member
Default My system is almost done!

Well, after many months of planning and dealing with used equipment getting destroyed during the shipping process, I believe I finally settled on my sound system for my 1997 Civic. Right now, this is the current system:

CDT components for the front doors powered by a Linear Power 1502IQ
One single 10" ported Digital Designs 1010 powered by a Rockford Fosgate P5002
Alpine CDA-9885 w/IPOD cable to control it all
e-dead sound deadening for the doors
cheap peal and seal roofing for the floor of the trunk (I'll NEVER use this stuff again)
Scosche 1/0 dual amp wiring kit that I got on the cheap

The only issue I have encountered thus far is that my Alpine face will not flip down with the trim piece snapped in. I had this problem in my Mustang and basically I had to sink the deck further into the bracket. That option is not available with the Civic dash kit.

Another issue was the Memphis 1.5KD that I wanted to use arrived with broken transistors due to being jostled around in shipping (grr). Had to file a claim with UPS to get that taken care of.

Other equipment I tried:
Ported 12" Kicker Solo-baric L5 powered by a Crossfire BMF-1000d - Sounded too muddy and gave me that "ricer" bass that I HATE. Kicker used to be better than that! The only plus side was that I managed to **** off my neighbors while testing (lol).

Two JL Audio 10w3v2 each in a sealed .75 cubic foot enclosure - no deep bass but a nice smooth sound. I have more SPL off of the single ported dd1010 and can live with the lower SQ provided by the dd1010. Regardless, in the lower lines, I now feel that JL Audio = hype. I like the 13w6v2 that I have in my Mustang, but there is no way I am going to pay a small fortune to outfit both of my rides with that sub!

Alpine SPS-600s for the doors - nice clean highs but no midbass. Great speakers for the price but they lack a mid bass punch.

Other amps I tried for my mids/highs were a Soundstream Reference 700s and a Rockford Fosgate Power 351s. The old school Linear Power just seems to sound warmer and richer, even though the Soundstream was real close in sound quality.

The Rockford Fosgate Power 351s seems to add some tone control in its amplification circuitry. It is hard to explain but the highs seem more vibrant off of the Power 351s whereas the mid frequencies are duller and more lifeless. My girlfriend even noticed the same thing stating that something sounded "weird". Oddly, I hadn't even told her that I was trying a different amp.

Hopefully I can get the finishing touches done and have a couple of photos up by Sunday!

Old 10-11-2008, 05:02 PM
HCF Member

Aw ****, the CDT's are 6.75" and will not fit behind the stock grill without extreme modification. I am going Type-R next...

Old 10-19-2008, 09:34 PM
HCF Member

Woo hoo, I ended up liking the Type R mid woofer with CDT tweeter:

I was given some free eDead and used my heating gun to heat the glue prior to sticking it on the door panel and door card. Wow does that stuff stick much better when heated!

Old 10-19-2008, 09:37 PM
HCF Member

looks good, how's it sound, have you tested them out yet?

Old 10-19-2008, 09:57 PM
HCF Member

Sounds great! Big improvement over the Type S speakers I had in there before. The midrange is much cleaner and the highs are a lot crisper! I have a couple more things to do then I can put the car back together and start enjoying the system!

Old 10-19-2008, 10:37 PM
HCF Member

just wondering.... what are u crossing those over at... slope?

Old 10-20-2008, 05:23 AM
HCF Member

80 Hz and above gets sent to the front speakers and the tweeter is crossed at 4.3 kHz in the passive CDT Satnet-400 crossover. I went with the CDT crossover over the Alpine Type R crossover due to CDT's hyped features.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:41 AM
Recognized HCF Member

would the type R tweets fit in those panels? J/W im eventualy wanting to buy some type R components for my 96 tho id have to custom the mounts anyways by chopping off my adjuster arm.LOL but id like it if i could just buy the tweeter pods for it for a easier instal of the tweeters.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:55 AM
HCF Member

They will fit just fine, but you will have to glue them in there because they have no screw holes on the back side.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:57 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ya i figured that much with the glue. thats how i have my 99 REaudio components inplace

ive just heard of some issues about afew tweeter sizes that wont fit into that opening.

Quick Reply: My system is almost done!