Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

More Bass....with less bulk than my dual 12's?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 09:11 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
$120-130 is certainly not tons of money or too much to spend but it is still a lot. It is clear now that the OP wants something with pretty nice quality so this is probably how much he wants to spend and he probably doesn't want Pioneer.

I'm just saying that Pioneer or other similar subwoofers aren't terrible and can still sound decent, just not show quality. To someone who wants show quality sound, of course those will be garbage to them. But all that most people want is something that sounds decent and adds some bass, which a Pioneer subwoofer would be fine for. Everyone who is hardcore into audio seems to talk so much trash about anything that isn't amazing and they act like everyone needs to go big or go home, and it gets kind of old.

I came in like i did cause that subwoofer that was mentioned is a lot more than the ones i mentioned. I may recommend high quality stuff, but that doesn't mean it's expensive...

Originally Posted by cowsgonemadd3
But those are MONO, I have 2 12's....

Currently bridged my amp sends 120 or so to EACH speaker. I would need more than that.
Ok you're not getting it.....mono amps are THE BEST AMPS for subwoofers. They are (or most are) class D amps, which means they are very efficient in the low frequency range and can produce a lot of power with minimal amperage draw.....

Also, and i think this is what is really confusing you....You can wire BOTH of your subs to ONE channel....you could wire 398 subwoofers to the one channel and have them work....it's all in HOW you wire them to the amp...

Your subs are 4 ohm dual voice coil (DVC) subs. Each voice coil has its own set of (+) and (-) wires/terminals. that means you have 4 sets of (+) and (-) wires.

you can wire each sub to present a load of 2 or 8 ohms. Now if you wire the two subwoofers together, you can present the amp with a 1 or 4 ohm load.

You NEED NEED NEED to know what SERIES and PARALLEL wiring is and how it changes impedance if you don't want to blow your equipment.

check out JL audio's website or rockford's site to get a good grasp on this concept.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:15 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by trustdestruction

But all that most people want is something that sounds decent and adds some bass, which a Pioneer subwoofer would be fine for. Everyone who is hardcore into audio seems to talk so much trash about anything that isn't amazing and they act like everyone needs to go big or go home, and it gets kind of old.
Sorry Trust but you are completely wrong on this one. You can get better sound for the same price than Pioneer. Pioneer's low range product is completely garbage. We never said go big or go home thats just the idea that newbs to the audio world like yourself get. We just try to steer you in a better direction. Even if the stuff we recommend was double the price (which its not its infact cheaper) It will last 4 times as long as the crap walmart brands such as Pioneer, Sony, Jvc, Dual and so on. Trust me on this one my cousin doesn't and has now purchased 6 or 7 of a Walmart product when I told him to buy a brand from the shop I work at which would still be playing (at least mine are).

Old 02-18-2010, 09:45 AM
HCF Member

i would go with something simple, dual 10 ported setup.. you say you want the most bass with the least amount of space taken up.. run maybe 600 to 1000 rms on some type r's or kicker cvr's.. inexpensive but very reliable.. on ebay type r 10s go for 110-120 new.. cvrs maybe 80-90. 50 for a small dual ported enclosure and 130-170 for a nice amplifier.. pretty simple install. youll need a 4 guage wiring kit. setup will blow you away. and for under like 400. easy

Old 02-18-2010, 10:05 AM
HCF Member
Old 02-18-2010, 07:43 PM
HCF Member

Type R's over kickers

You do not want to skimp on the box....make sure it has the right amount of air space for the sub you get. that's going to improve bass output and response the most out of anything you can do.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:20 PM
HCF Member

Down to the wiring aspect, Superfly is totally right spend some time, learn about wiring. Its not hard, IF you look into it, if you jump in you might fry your brain and your equipment.

As for some of the other things said that i entirely disagree with, im just going to say this, one thing with speakers, It really does not matter what anyone else say's. for instance i could try to sell anyone here some Pioneer Champion Series woofers (using that because aparently people really have something against them) BUT! no matter how hard i try it ALL comes down to the persons Ear, Its like the saying "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" Well its exactly the same for audio, Everyones ear is different. it MAY not be as big of a deal with Subwoofers BUT it still makes a difference, for instance i find S-Types sound.. well.. kinda weird.... and i honestly dont like them, but thats ME.

So i with all the names that have been thrown around here for subs, i think the best thing to do now is try and listen to a few, showrooms are not the greatest at all but you WILL get an idea as to the general sound/performance, and see if its to your liking.

(P.S. i would never pay 180 for my sub, i got mine for 70)

Old 02-18-2010, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by kanarrjl
Sorry Trust but you are completely wrong on this one. You can get better sound for the same price than Pioneer. Pioneer's low range product is completely garbage.
I shouldn't have been so specific. I've never heard the Pioneer sub in question, so I will admit that me calling it okay is just an assumption. But back to my point... not just the Pioneer stuff, but most of the stuff around that price range is what I am referring to. There's a lot of okay brands that get so much trash talk when really they aren't all that bad.

For example, I have some MA Audio subs. I don't know what your guys' opinion is of them (though I am curious) but I've read a lot of trash talk about them on the internet. Turns out, at least in my experience of them, they sound pretty decent.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:22 AM
HCF Member

well trust im sorry about being harsh also but to tell you the truth like i said b4 its 90% in the install if you have a crap box with a $900 sub its gunna sound worse than an amazing box with a $50 sub but of course a $900 sub in an amazing box is still gunna sound the best

largen as far as the type-s that you heard it probably was in a terrible box. how boxes work they can be tuned to make different sounds going from 20hz-75hz the 50-75hz range is only for spl applications (high numbers on a db meter) I perfer boxes tuned so low that you think your chest is gunna implode when the bass hits

Old 02-19-2010, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by kanarrjl
well trust im sorry about being harsh also but to tell you the truth like i said b4 its 90% in the install if you have a crap box with a $900 sub its gunna sound worse than an amazing box with a $50 sub but of course a $900 sub in an amazing box is still gunna sound the best
completely true, very good point

I'm still not sure about how good or bad my subs are considered to be, but my box was built by a guy who really knows his stuff so that is probably helping a lot.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:05 PM
HCF Member

Your subs are decent. If i had them, especially in a box made for them, I'd have a hard time convincing myself that i really need something better

Quick Reply: More Bass....with less bulk than my dual 12's?