Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Manual to automatic locks?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 05:22 AM
HCF Member
Default Manual to automatic locks?

I have an ek Hatch DX, so everything is manual. I definitely need to get an alarm, so I was wondering how hard it would be to add automatic electronic locks, so I can unlock the doors with the alarm pad... At night I can barely find the hole...(that's what she said) and sometimes it's just a pain to fumble around with the keys. Is it two separate jobs, the locks then the alarm, or do some alarms come like that in a package? Sorry for my noobishness.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:14 AM
Recognized HCF Member

You'd install aftermarket solenoids in the doors to work the locks, and wire them back to the alarm "brain". Make sure your alarm system supports this function. Most alarms have built-in provisions for optional stuff like power locks. But usually the solenoids are sold separately.

Old 04-09-2010, 02:29 PM
HCF Member

Awesome, thanks.

So, any decent alarm shop should have no problem doing this then.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:59 PM

Those aftermarket actuators work fine, but I really recommend just going OEM. You can add OEM actuators onto the manual latch assembly, the part is identical for power and manual locks, the only difference is that power locks have an actuator screwed onto them. The manual lock assembly has the bolt holes for the actuator though.

Then wire those actuators to your alarm.

The reason I recommend the OEM actuators is because the aftermarket ones don't mount as easily or cleanly, and I feel that the OEM ones are more likely to hold up over time and will provide a more consistent lock or unlock. With the aftermarket ones you have to make sure you install them so that they work and you also have to make sure that the arm has room to move freely.

OEM actuators can be found at the junkyard pretty easily. Since you only have two doors (hatchback) it won't be very expensive either.
They need to be from a 96-00 EX or Si Coupe.
You can either buy the whole lock assembly and actuator, or just the actuator. Either will work on your car.

If you wish to buy them new, they're $48 a piece from Honda (You'll need parts 5 and 27, and you'll need 6 of part #43 (the screws that hold the actuators to the lock assembly)). I really recommend just hitting up the junkyard though.

Last edited by trustdestruction; 04-10-2010 at 12:04 AM.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:42 PM
Teo

Guys, what about for a 2011 VP? I think I found the actuators but I just want to make sure I got the right parts. How can I check If the part number I found is exactly what I need?

Old 04-03-2011, 07:52 AM
HCF Member

I have a 97 cx and i upgraded myself. It takes pretty basic knowledge and understanding to figure out how the locks, solenoids and relays work. The hardest part is keeping the wiring neat. As for parts I did my whole system including the brain and wiring etc for about $130CAD. I think if you go with the stock power locks you need to upgrade your wiring harness. Correct me if i'm wrong but the stock locks and alarm were wired through the factory deck so if you have after market you can sometimes get into problems.